The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Smile said:
@The Hat

I want to store these for up to 1 max 2 years. I'm not talking about months. With the soon defunct Pro 9000 since canon replaced it with pro 100 you will not be able to get CLI-8 carts. So I try to buy them in bulk from where ever I can. Mostly on auctions.
You need not worry regarding the availability of CLI-8 cartridges after the 9000 has ceased production, they will be around for a very long time.
But if youre still not convinced then you can use the CLI-42 instead, its the very same cartridge..

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
@Tudor

Yes I agree, I'm thinking I will purge and vacuum store it in welded aluminum bag from ebay, but I'm sure I still need silica gel in those bags. Since the carts are empty and dry.

@The Hat

The CLI-42 is compatible with CLI-8? But you still need chips from CLI-8, any cheap source to buy them, especially Green, Red, PM, PC chips?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Smile said:
@The Hat

I want to store these for up to 1 max 2 years. I'm not talking about months. With the soon defunct Pro 9000 since canon replaced it with pro 100 you will not be able to get CLI-8 carts. So I try to buy them in bulk from where ever I can. Mostly on auctions.
You need not worry regarding the availability of CLI-8 cartridges after the 9000 has ceased production, they will be around for a very long time.
But if youre still not convinced then you can use the CLI-42 instead, its the very same cartridge..
I'll trade anyone one for one. Used CLI-42 for a purged CLI-8 cartridge. No Red and Green though

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Smile said:
@Tudor

Yes I agree, I'm thinking I will purge and vacuum store it in welded aluminum bag from ebay, but I'm sure I still need silica gel in those bags. Since the carts are empty and dry.

@The Hat

The CLI-42 is compatible with CLI-8? But you still need chips from CLI-8, any cheap source to buy them, especially Green, Red, PM, PC chips?
Once the cartridges are purged and clean there really isnt any more to be done with them,
they will be perfectly fine as they are till you need them,
a bag would be great for storage purposes but it doesnt have to be air tight.

Now as far as the chips are concerned you can collect PGI-9 chips and used them in your 9000 also,
then there is 3rd party compatible CLI-8 and PGI-9 cartridges to plunder for any extra chips you may need..

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Smile said:
Yes I agree, I'm thinking I will purge and vacuum store it in welded aluminum bag from ebay, but I'm sure I still need silica gel in those bags.
I give up. Do you actually know what silica gel does?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi Smile

Even if the aluminium bags and silica gel are intended for storing flushed and dried cartridges, and not refilled cartridges, as I and others thought, I would not recommend the use of silica gel, as sponges that are too dry can be difficult to wet with ink. See this thread: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8814 and compare a rag: A rag that is completely dry is difficult to wet with water, a slightly moist rag absorbs water readily.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
ThrillaMozilla said:
Smile said:
Yes I agree, I'm thinking I will purge and vacuum store it in welded aluminum bag from ebay, but I'm sure I still need silica gel in those bags.
Silica gel removes and seal moisture, last time I checked my air humidity is ~60 - 75 percent, and I would not like to store my carts even dried in such high humidity sealed in a plastic bag. Even If I remove air, dried cart does not get damaged by dry storage conditions, I refill using freedom method perhaps if you use german method that will be an issue as dry cartridges do not absorb ink very good.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PeterBJ said:
Hi Smile

Even if the aluminium bags and silica gel are intended for storing flushed and dried cartridges, and not refilled cartridges, as I and others thought, I would not recommend the use of silica gel, as sponges that are too dry can be difficult to wet with ink. See this thread: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8814 and compare a rag: A rag that is completely dry is difficult to wet with water, a slightly moist rag absorbs water readily.
I fill with traditional or freedom vacuum fill method (aluminum tape work wonders as sealant for air maze). So dry carts are fine.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Smile said:
ThrillaMozilla said:
Smile said:
Silica gel removes and seal moisture....
Almost correct. It removes moisture. It doesn't seal anything.

Smile said:
...I would not like to store my carts even dried in such high humidity sealed in a plastic bag.
Why not? Do you know what happens when you remove moisture from a cartridge?