To purge, or not to purge? Help required...

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Before i begin, i would like to say that this is an excellent forum, and i have learnt so much by perusing it. This forum is in fact what gave me all of my current information about refilling. So, i an very grateful for all your efforts.

Now, on to my question: I have just managed to obtain several empty OEM Canon cartridges (by getting them out of those cartridge recycling bins [thanks Aussieinker]), and i was wondering if i should purge them before i refill and use them (and, if necessary, what the best method to do so is). From what i can tell, they do not appear to be refilled or modified in any way, however i am not sure how long they have been in the bins for. I have obtained PGI-5BK, CLI-8M,Y & C cartridges. What should i do?

Note: I haven't refilled anything as yet, as i am waiting on my hobbicolors order to arrive, and, as my printer is still new, i have not yet finished the original cartridges. As well, i plan to use the German method to refil, but i'm having some trouble sourcing sharp needles that are over 50mm long... On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know how long it takes for Hobbicolors ink to arrive in Australia?

Thanks in advance

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Yes, you should purge the empties that you salvaged as you don't know how long since they have been used and the ink is probably dry in all or parts of the cart. purged and dried OEM carts are the best for refilling. You can probably refill the ones you empty without purging, but I would not use them to the point that they register empty. I've always refilled the bci-6 and bci-3ebk carts when the reservoir part still has 10% or so of the ink left in it. I feel that you get more refills before the need to purge and start the cycle over.

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ah, thanks fotofreek for your quick response!

I actually tried purging a PGI-5BK cartridge last night, but the sponge didn't become white like the other images i have seen. Its still in the process of drying completely, however the sponge has turned a dark grey colour, even though the water i washed out was clear.

This is the method i used: i drilled a small hole in the ink chamber area (the one without the sponge), small enough just to fit a needle in. I then connected the output port of the cartridge to my garden hose (via that plastic nozzle you find on the end of sillicone sealent tubes: the large end fitted surprisingly well onto the exit port, and the tapered end i connected to my hose), and then i ran water through the cartridge at low pressure. The water exited through the drill hole and the small air intake vent. The water was initially jet black, and i stopped when the water turned relatively clear. I then went inside, and used a syringe to flush water in through the drill hole and out the ink exit port and air vent. I flushed it about 20 times with tap water, and i then switched to distilled water for 5 flushes. I then syriged air into the cartridge to displace most of the water. Afterwards i got my vacuum cleaner and fitted it around the exit port of the cartridge, and i let it suck air through the cartridge for about 1 min. The cartridge is now drying on my windowsill, and some water has condensed on the inside. I plan to let it dry for a few days, or until no water condenses on the inside.

Is this an appropriate procedure? I actually have a couple more black and colour cartridges that i obtained, and is this the method that i should use, or is there a better way?

Thanks

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
sounds right. I hook up the simple home-made device (not unllike your hose setup) to a utility sink faucet and use the hottest tap water. I run it until the sponge area gets as clean as it will get. I've never bothered with distilled water, and I've been doing this as long as Grandad35's posts have been on this forum - probably four years or so. I make a larger hole on top of the reservoir area and use a screw and O-ring to reseal the cart after refilling, so there is a much larger outlet for the purge water and therefore a greater volume of water that will flow through. I also use the water at a fairly high pressure. Most of the carts come out quite clean, but the black ones sometimes leave a light gray color. If you want the carts to dry more quickly you can set them up with a small house fan blowing at them.

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok, thanks!
I'll keep the forum informed of how my purging goes.

Also, to seal the hole, is there any special type of glue i should use? I have some cheap hot glue, but will that work?