Tips for vacuuming an Epson wide-format printer

wannaby

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SureColor P800 & 3800
Hi, I'm thinking about vacuuming my "new/old" Epson 3800. It was gifted to me unused and the carts were never installed. However, the printer picked up some dust sitting on the shelf for years.

I've done some surperficial cleaning, but I can still see fine dust inside the cavity when I lift the lid. When the head moves back and forth, I think some dust might eventually get under the heads. I'd appreciate any thoughts about what to do, what not to do and areas to avoid. If anyone knows where the electronics are located, that seems like an area to avoid. I have a handheld vac with a Hepa filter. Thanks.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Usually there are vaccums that are electro static safe, however typical vaccum with ground wire from nozzle works too. Use some tape and smaller diameter hose to secure it to vaccum hose. Make diy adapter. Then connect true earth ground wire to it and that should be safe

wannaby

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Usually there are vaccums that are electro static safe, however typical vaccum with ground wire from nozzle works too. Use some tape and smaller diameter hose to secure it to vaccum hose. Make diy adapter. Then connect true earth ground wire to it and that should be safe

Thanks very much. I like your idea about a DIY solution. it sounds like a good option for people who know their way around electronics.

I think the other option of an electro static safe vacuum would work better for me because I don't feel confident in this area. I also would like to vacuum my computer and can't risk messing things up. I can be a klutz.

If anyone has experience with particular brands of electro static safe vacuums, please share your experience, positive and negative. I'd need one for 120V.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
The prices are so crazy like for asbestos vaccum. Better diy if you have proper earth grounding, meaning earth wire not connected to neutral line in distribution box where you electricity meeter is

wannaby

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, some people say these vacuums are overpriced. If you're going to vacuum toner, which I"m not, then it gets even more expensive with HEPA filters. Thanks for the addiional info.