Tip: Fixing Brother HL 1230 Cart - solving white Vertical Lines

fznuk

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I recently had to retire my HP 4L Laser due to a new cartridge playing up....a printer that has lasted over 7 years on ONE cart with just refill toner (the old hole in the cart method...and yep, emptying the unused toner section)

I was given 2 Brother HL 1230's, both working but both had constant white (faded-nonprint) virtical lines on the page. Even after cleaning the inside of the printers and the drum...no luck :(

Last attempt, i emptied the toner of the cart onto a large piece of paper (cart was unplug type), then unscrewed and uncliped the cart (without the drum), carefully cleaned the blade and the corona wire carefully with cotton buds and vacuumed out any further reminance of Toner....just under the corona wire i found darkened bits on the metal strip which i also cleaned.

Refilled the cart with the toner...using a funnel...hey presto! worked a treat and still working a treat!

I may now do the same with my HP and see if the replacement cart has a similar fault...and may get another 6 years out of it!!

Since ALL lasers (mono at least) work on the same principle, you could apply it to your broken laser?

Si.