Thoughts on the Canon iP7250?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The 3 way valves may work in conjunction with the flusher. Only tests will show. With the CLI-8 cartridges you have the advantage that the cartridges are transparent, so you can see what is going on inside the cartridge. IIRC gigigogu made a Freedom refill adapter using a such valve. If you want to experiment with the Freedom refill method I recommend studying the whole thread and specially note ghwellsjr's video. Specially note that the Freedom refill method is a vacuum refill method, so the cartridge should never be pressurized by pushing the plunger. Link to the thread here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6750

With "foam in the cartridge" I mean an unwanted mixture of air and ink. Canon OEM cartridges contain no foam materials, instead fibrous materials with different properties are used.

Using the flusher, it is possible to flush the cartridges without drilling holes or removing the sealing ball. This is of value if you want to refill the cartridges using the Freedom refill method. A couple of posts explaining the flushing: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=63039#p63039 and http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=61432#p61432

Lumi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm really torn at the moment. It seems like the Freedom method is the best way to end up with undamaged carts, but then the top-fill method just has a great track record.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Lumi said:
I'm really torn at the moment. It seems like the Freedom method is the best way to end up with undamaged carts, but then the top-fill method just has a great track record.
The Freedom method is well worth using but only when you have it down to a fine art
and that takes a lot of practice to achieve it 100% of the time.:old

Otherwise youll end up with ink everywhere you dont want it,
so stick to what you know, abstract painting is not nice when its all over you house.. :plbb

Lumi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
LOL, I agree. I would want to refill and keep a bit of white sponge at the top of the cart --- just to be sure I don't oversaturate the sponge. I guess this is easier and more reliable with the top-fill method.

I guess experimenting with the Freedom method would be a good excuse to have another set of the C/Y/M carts handy.

Lumi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Quick questions regarding purging:
I've read some recommendations to run some distilled water through the cart after flushing with tap water ---
1. How much water to run through?
2. Is tap water run through a BRITA filter good enough?
3. When using the top-fill method plus the cartridge flush clip, is it better to fill the reservoir and suck it out through the clip or to fill a syringe and PUSH it into the cart through the clip?

Thanks!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Lumi said:
Quick questions regarding purging:
I've read some recommendations to run some distilled water through the cart after flushing with tap water ---
1. How much water to run through?
2. Is tap water run through a BRITA filter good enough?
3. When using the top-fill method plus the cartridge flush clip, is it better to fill the reservoir and suck it out through the clip or to fill a syringe and PUSH it into the cart through the clip?

Thanks!
You can flush out your carts using tap water but if the water in your area is hard water
then its better to finish off the purging with some distilled water.

You run enough water through the carts to clean out most of the inks

5128_4_carts.jpg

You can finish off the flushing with one or two syringe fulls of Brita water that would do.

Dont use your flush clips for refilling, use the orange OEM clips only and secured on with elastic bands then top fill as normal.

Fill the reservoir to 75% full with ink then let the cartridge stand for a couple on minutes to allow the ink to soak into the sponge side,
then top up the reservoir side once more to 75% and seal off the refill hole, some tape over the air maze while refilling and some dont.

Lumi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Er, ah, no idea how to determine if my water is "hard" or not, but thanks for confirming that Brita-filtered would be good. As it is free, might as well use the filtered water all the way.

Still wondering about question #3!

As for the OEM clips, I'm not sure if the clips included when I bought my OEMs from Octoinkjet are the original ones, but it "clips on" to my cart so I am guessing no need for elastic bands?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Lumi said:
Er, ah, no idea how to determine if my water is "hard" or not, but thanks for confirming that Brita-filtered would be good. As it is free, might as well use the filtered water all the way.

Still wondering about question #3!

As for the OEM clips, I'm not sure if the clips included when I bought my OEMs from Octoinkjet are the original ones, but it "clips on" to my cart so I am guessing no need for elastic bands?
The hard water thing I am afraid youll have to work that out for yourself,
try logging onto your water authority website and check with them.

We have beautiful PH neutral acid free water that tastes like a mountain spring,
but I still use filters for the drinking water myself.

If you have gotten OEM carts then rest assured they have OEM chips on them,
the elastic band was for holding on the orange shoe clip that covers the ink outlet hole and not the chips.

5128_air_maze.jpg

Only use the hole in the top of the reservoir to refill your cartridges and no other,
otherwise you risk getting ink into the air maze above the sponge area..

Lumi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Lol, I wonder where you got the "chips" from... I meant clips. And yeah, if your pic shows the OEM clip, then the ones I got are not OEM --- they look like that purge clip, but without the luer bit at the bottom.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Empty OEM carts bought from Octoinkjet are delivered with clips attached to them. The clips are not OEM, but they are perfect for refilling and storing your cartridges. There is no need for elastic bands.