Thick media for b9180 or other pigment printers

horseboy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a B9180 and wondering if anyone has any good experiences with thick media for this printer. It needs to be available in 13x19 (or longer) and thick enough to fold into a box. The thickness of a cereal box seems about right.

Non B9180 users please chime in with thick media suggestions for pigment printers as they may help too.

Thanks!!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
horseboy
As far as I know you are out of luck with that printer regarding thick media.
HP printers only load from the front and the paper has to be able to rotate in a very small circle
so thick boards tends to jam in that situation even if you feed it cross-grain.

The only printers that can do what you want with thick board are Epson and Canon sorry..:|

horseboy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The B9180 can handle thicker media than pretty much any printer under $5000. It handles up to 1.5mm thickness with it's straight thru specialty media tray. I have printed on thick cardboard with no problem. The cardboard wasn't meant for printing, so the print was crappy, but the printer handled the thickness just fine. I am wondering about people's experiences because I haven't tried any thick media specifically meant for this or other pigment inkjet printers.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
horseboy

Ops. I am sorry as I wasnt aware that HP has improved their printers for a straight through paper path.
The secret to getting better quality print is to select a different paper type in the print setup.

Theres are quite a number of media types to choice from but none are cardboard,
so try all of them till you get one that works the best.
Another thing to try is to lower the print quality down to the lowest setting and work up,
on some porous boards the lower settings can work the best.. :)

horseboy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I will give that a shot once I actually get some media to print on. There are "inkjet board" products out there that are posterboard type material for inkjets. The problem is I can't find any in the US. Everything seems to be in the UK. They must use different terminology over here or something. I just need thick cardstock/posterboard material that is inkjet printable in 13x19 size. Surely it is out there other than in the UK.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
horseboy
I would do a tour of the craft and hobby shops to find something suitable and thick to use.
The poster board that you talk of does not make good box board and will split when in use, so beware.. :|

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
How desparate are you to do this? The problem with most materials is that they are not coated for inkjet printing so prints are, as you said, pretty crappy. But, you can coat then yourself with something like InkAid. Not sure I would tackle it for a one-off, but needs must....

horseboy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea. I wonder if the inkaid would crack when folding?