The Win 10 upgrade, Experiences Please..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
My Printer is a program, not the driver. The link provided by palombian in post #18 finds the driver if you insert "Win 8.1 (64 bit)" in the OS drop-down menu. It is 10.2 MB. I don't know if I can and am allowed to upload a file this big to the forum? The name of the driver file is ip1900svst220ea24.exe.
@PeterBJ, See what happens when you don’t check just what has been downloaded ! Ops..:hide
I will go back and delete the file so..
I would suggest @Emulator just unplug the USB cable from his printer and then reboot the computer, wait one minute for everything to load and the system is still, then plug the USB cable back in and wait to see how the O/S reacts to this new printer, failing that try installing the previous Print driver that worked under Win 7..

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I use Mozilla Firefox which I don't believe has a compatibility mode, maybe MS Edge has, but I have avoided setting that up on the WIN10 installation. So I will just have to lump it, I bought it from ASDA many years ago for £15, they were selling off a great pile of new IP1900s.

Incidentally the O/S just rejects that particular printer as incompatible as no driver is available.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I use Mozilla Firefox which I don't believe has a compatibility mode, maybe MS Edge has,.....
The driver should be downloaded as you would download any other file. The compatibility mode should not be used yet. I think there is no such thing as a compatibility mode download in Firefox.

I'm using Mozilla Firefox and had no problems downloading the driver neither on my default computer running W8.1 or my experimental W10/Linux Mint computer.
Incidentally the O/S just rejects that particular printer as incompatible as no driver is available.
This is because Microsoft Update found no driver available. Therefore you must do the install yourself. Plug and play install cannot be used in this case.

When you have downloaded the driver, make sure the printer is turned off and disconnected from the computer. If the "devices and printers" or what it might be called in the English W10 version show some incompletely installed printer, that printer must be removed from the system first.

Now follow palombian's procedure from post #18 and run the downloaded driver install file in compatibility mode for W8.1 64 bit. When the program has almost finished installing the printer, it tells you to connect the printer via USB and turn on the printer. When you do that the install finishes in the same way as it does for earlier Windows versions.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I must have a problem somewhere in the system, the download screen with the details of the driver, shows a blank blue unresponsive rectangle where you would click to download.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
This sounds strange. Would you like me to make screenshots of the download screens from my W10 computer?

If your Email system allows you to receive mail with a 10.4 MB attachment I can send the driver to you if you use the forum conversation system to send me your Email address.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Thanks for the offer Peter, but I am not too concerned about not having the driver, I am more interested in why you all can download a driver, while I can't down load any version 7, 8, 8.1 etc. Something seems to be blocking the interaction with that particular web site. I'm obviously missing something!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I must have a problem somewhere in the system, the download screen with the details of the driver, shows a blank blue unresponsive rectangle where you would click to download.
A screen-shot might help us find out what is wrong.

A trick sometimes used by IT supporters when they don't know what is wrong is asking: "Have you tried un-installing and re-installing it?" It sometimes works, maybe this will also work with your Firefox problem?

I tried downloading the driver using Edge on my W10 computer, this also worked, so you could also give Edge a try.

Are you able to download from other websites for instance these test pages from druckerchannel.de? Maybe some security setting is too strict?

This was what came to my mind, others might have more ideas about what could be wrong.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I was able to download the 8.x 64 bit drivers for your printer from the UK website linked above.

Java and Javascript might be blocked by Firefox, an add-on in Firefox, or your OS. For instance, I use a Firefox add on called NoScript that blocks Java till I give it permission (temporarily or permanently). which I had to do in order to get the download.

If Edge also does not work then there must be a setting in Win10 to allow Java/Javascripting. Otherwise, maybe you're blocked by someone on the Internet which is beyond your control, although there are anonymous proxy web sites you could try to get the file. I seriously doubt this is the reason, though.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

There is one factor which is possibly relevant, I think that it is probable that my PC, is likely to be the only one that actually had an iP1900 printer attached and switched on, while WIN10 was set up and installed the drivers for three attached printers.

Would it be possible that WIN10, having established that there was no WIN10 driver for the iP1900, could block any attempt to download any other drivers identified as for the iP1900?

I see Peter D has already stated elsewhere ( http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...time-again-how-about-this-for-a-change.10240/ ) what are becoming my own thoughts on the subject:-

"I find Windows 10 fairly intuitive to use compared with Windows 7 and quite like the program with the reservation that MS seem to have given up on the Explorer browser at least as far as this particular OS version is concerned. The compatibility with old printers could also prove to be an issue as I found numerous problems appeared when trying to run an old HP Business Jet from Windows 10. The upside being that this hardy old printer was soon on it's way to the recyclers and a new Brother monochrome laser printer is now handling my office document printing. The deals on home office lasers are such that persisting with older hardware for text printing is hardly justified with even non OEM toner cartridges being readily available."

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think @stratman is right and the problem is a Java problem. It doesn't show clearly in the lower left corner, when you want to download a file from Canon, but I think this shows that Java is involved in the downloading, click to enlarge:

Java1.jpg

So I recommend to test if Java is functional, the easiest way is Googling "Verify Java" and finding this. Here is another website that detects Java and has some more info about Java.

Last edited: