The Truth about Canon Pigment vs Dye Black Ink

nida rahman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon mb2340
Intriguing advice. I had never intended to get set up for refilling, but this gives me a reason to try. Recommendations on where to find an empty cartridge and the necessary ink and equipment would be appreciated.
Aliexpress.com

nida rahman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon mb2340
Hello there smart people, need some advice here , i have mb2340 canon maxify, which uses pgi1400xl, four cartridges which are pigmented all, 3 colored and one black . Can i mix up and use black pigmented ink for refill, and the colored ones in dye type. Because black is used for documents for storing long time and for keeping the ink safe from spreading.
Please help , or should i use all pigmented or all dye . Or should i buy refill tanks kit.

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
Pretty simple, but there is a complication involving duplex printing. When doing duplex printing, the black pigment ink is cut to about one half of the intensity that it would normally print. Then, to make up for this decrease, the magenta and cyan inks are printed in the same area as the pigment black. The yellow and dye black are never added to the pigment black to make up the difference. NOTE: Recent tests have shown that this last statement is only true for 100% black. In fact, yellow, along with magenta and cyan, is blended for some shades of grey. Also, it doesn't matter whether the duplex printing is done automatically or manually, or whether you are doing booklet printing. And, in all cases, we are talking about duplex printing on plain paper.
Presumably this means that even the first page of the print comprises of a colour mix, i.e. EVERY page has a reduced pigment ink intensity. So the only way of ensuring waterproofing is to print on single pages?

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
one question - I have a lot of black dye - can i refill the black pigment cartridge with it or will it mess up my printer?
I have used black dye ink in one of my printers for years with no problems. If you don't use your printer regularly, it's probably a better bet as it won't clog as easily.
I suspect that many compatible BK carts contain dye ink anyway.

Dye ink is fine to use in your pigment cartridge but don't expect it to be waterproof

nida rahman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon mb2340
Can i use black pigmented and dye colored inks on my canon maxify with refillable ink tanks . My printer originally uses all pigmented ink cartridges. If not give me suggestion of what is correct type to use. Would like to mention.that i dont do alot of printing may be 3 to 5 pages a week in average sometimes not even a page for a month
Any suggestion is appreciated .

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

nida rahman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon mb2340
You can use dye ink in your printer but why would you want too, because pigment ink is widely available for the Maxify, for the best results I would recommend only pigment ink.

Here are a couple of videos showing how to refill the OEM cartridges and also refillable ones, you can use eider cartridge in your printer..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XycHQMBWdY8
http://www.precisioncolors.com/Max12Ref.html
You can use dye ink in your printer but why would you want too, because pigment ink is widely available for the Maxify, for the best results I would recommend only pigment ink.

Here are a couple of videos showing how to refill the OEM cartridges and also refillable ones, you can use eider cartridge in your printer..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzgLoM90D8Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XycHQMBWdY8
http://www.precisioncolors.com/Max12Ref.html
Thanks for the reply, I saw the videos before too. The pigmented inks are very expensive for where i live the shipping charges are alot. I am buying through china which is with free shipping but they all are in 100 ml and i know i cant use this much ink in 2 years and it will just expire so i was looking for 50 ml , they are giving 50 ml in dye and 50ml black pigmented. I am more drawn to this because of the price and also because i heard dye inks give vibrant colors while pigmented ink if they are not high quality thye may clog tge printer. And i need black pigment so ink wont spread with water . My concern is will it be a problem if i use pigmented black and dye colors together.
And i will buy refillable cartridges too with the ink.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Yes pigment ink is more expensive, but there is a reason for that, it’s a much better and superior quality ink, and no it doesn’t clog the print head any more than dye ink does, more likely less.

Buying very small bottles of ink is a total waste of money, you’d be much better getting 100 ml bottles, and once you store the ink properly it will last for many years without going off.

Pigment ink works and looks better than dye ink on satin gloss and plain papers, and yes the dye will work perfectly with the pigment ink , but your colours will be way off, while the pigment wont run in water the dye ink most certainly will, and the other down side of dye ink is it fades like crazy.

Here is high quality 100 ml bottles with cartridges @ $69 plus postage, just Email for P&P price..
ink.PNG compliments of Percision Colors.. Click to enlarge..

lospider

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP4910
Hello, guys. I have a Canon Pixma iP4910 printer, which has the following cartridges: 1 pigment black; 1 dye black; 1 dye magenta; 1 dye yellow; 1 dye cyan. Can I refill ALL my cartridges with PIGMENT ink without any problems?
Thanks!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
No, the pigment black is a special pigment ink only suitable for plain paper, not for photo paper. The colour and photoblack inks are dye inks. The use of pigment ink instead of dye ink will most likely ruin the print head by clogging and ink starvation.