The Lamogio method . Maybe works with 226/526...

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ThrillaMozilla said:
I'm not sure I'm following this. What in the world are you guys doing? It looks like you're trying to make opaque plastic so thin that it's translucent. With a hot screwdriver. Is this the idea?

And in the second photo, you're trying to make a cartridge transparent even though it already has a transparent window???
This wasnt my original cartridge so i did some experiments. It was a crappy @Work i found ..

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
But what was the objective of the experiment? Are you trying to weld a piece of transparent plastic in there?

And what are you guys trying to do with sandpaper, razor blades, etc.?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ThrillaMozilla said:
But what was the objective of the experiment? Are you trying to weld a piece of transparent plastic in there?

And what are you guys trying to do with sandpaper, razor blades, etc.?
Looks like either the opaque portion is a coating or an applied layer, or, heat causes the opaque layer to become somewhat translucent. The former sounds most likely from the posts in the thread.

A vice and a dremel might do the trick?

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Very interesting.

But you're working on the wrong part of the cartridge. You need the transparent part where you can monitor the level without removing the cartridge. You can always fill it to the proper level, even if the cartridge is completely opaque. You can do it by sound, or by drawing back on the plunger to see if the plunger is below liquid level, or do it by weight.

If you're trying to monitor the level with a window on the side, you're going to have to remove most of the cartridges from the printer anyway. And if you do that, you might as well just weigh them. Just buy an inexpensive scale that weighs to 0.1 g.

EDIT: Oh, I see the Canon cartridges have the ends covered, making this end partly inaccessible.

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It is a layer over the transparent...i cut a slice and it is like 60% opaque 40% transparent plastic

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
ThrillaMozilla said:
I'm not sure I'm following this. What in the world are you guys doing?
Same here, except I am SURE I'm not following this. :cool:

Short version ... do the CLI-226 (dye?) carts have an opaque jacket over a clear inner cart? Is it kind of a cart inside a cart?

Is it like having a security envelope with a clear section showing the addressee ... and then put in another envelope without the clear part?

So you remove the outer envelope where the clear part of the inner envelope is?

Also curious about where the name "Lamogio" method comes from? I did a quick google, and the only thing that seemed relevant was this post (google is even faster about index'ing than I realized)

OT? I wonder if the opaque PGI-9 carts for the Pro-9500-2 are like this?

whitewallpaul

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The purpose of this experiment is to prove canon can not stop people from putting their heads together to find efficient ways to bypass any anti refill measure they can implement

At least thats how i see it!

I would pay more for a factory printer with a relible oem designed refillable or continuous ink sytem

Obviously based on their current model, the money is in the consumable cartridges

Does anyone see any reason why there cant be an open source printer outside the major manufacturers?

Ultimately thats what all this should lead to

Btw: i have almost zero knowledge on the inner workings of a printer- i know there are proprietory inks and heads- thats it

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
whitewallpaul said:
putting their heads together to find efficient ways to bypass any anti refill measure
Efficient?

The exercise is ingenious and reflects determination and "True Grit". I'm impressed.

I suppose an aftermarket vendor could rig up something to start with oem 221/226 carts and automatically shave/grind a known amount from a certain location on the opaque cart. They'd certainly be entitled to expect a premium over already pricey virgin empties.

Except now the cart isn't really an oem cart, but more of a non-oem compatible?

I'm bummed by taking one minute per cart to prep a cart for top-filling. Then a minute or so per cart for flush/purge. I don't want to add several more minutes per 221/226 cart to do my own shaving/scrapping/grinding/burning the outer jacket to be able to barely see through the inner shell.

You can fill a bath-tub up with a tablespoon, but that isn't efficient.

But I'm being negative at the onset of an interesting experiment that could lead to something. Shame on me. Sorry for the rant.

I think of the 225/226 carts as being completely worthless from a refilling perspective. If the above lead to an improvement, perhaps 225/226 based printers would be merely worthless?

whitewallpaul

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Efficient is certainly a relative term in this instance-

I see an aluminum cnc'ed jig built to secure the cartridge. It would have a preset hole in the front for proper needle alignment (german method) and fences on the two sides where material would be removed with a specific dremel bit (or any tool that can minimize user error)- the fences would be such that it would be impossible to cut deeper than a predetermined depth with the specified bit.

Certainly not efficient, but awesome for those who like to tool around in the garage and refuse to be defeated

Now, where did i put that 6 axis cnc mill...?! ;)