l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Thanks Red I will look for some aluminium tape as it does feel strange to leave the hole uncovered.
Regards Rod

bsanotrun

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Redbrickman said:
Try and find thin aluminium adhesive tape.

I bought a roll in a local DIY for another hobby, but it is the best thing I have tried for sealing. It is as thin as the thinnest tinfoil you can find, but has very strong adhesive and can be rubbed down to create a good seal. Getting it off is somewhat more difficult!
Yes, i use aluminium type that is used on heating and ventilating ducting, to seal the refill hole on HP15,CL51/52 and now BCI6 carts, it is without doubt having tried many different types of sticky tape the best.

Mike

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
bsanotrun,

I know the type of tape you mean, it's a lot thicker than the stuff I use.

I remembered after posting that I actually bought it in Poundland and not the DIY store. I have enough to keep me going for a millennia :D

It is very thin, even thinner than the Canon film over the serpentine airway. If you are in one of those "expensive" stores you may see some, the name is TOOL BOX aluminium tape on a large roll that is black and yellow.

Gotta be worth a Pound.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Great I have some of that air con tape, that stuff will never drop off. I will give it a go. Thanks.
Regards Rod

bsanotrun

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Redbrickman said:
bsanotrun,

I know the type of tape you mean, it's a lot thicker than the stuff I use.

I remembered after posting that I actually bought it in Poundland

Gotta be worth a Pound.
Strange shop Poundland you never quite know what you are buying.
A few month's ago i bought some Polaroid 8x10 gloss photo paper it was really quite good for 8p per sheet so i went back and bought another 5 packets.
Last week i told a friend about this and he went and bought a few packets,
His however was utterly useless something wrong with the coating as ink just just sat on the surface and would not penetrate into the paper or dry at all.
I thought it must be something to do with the ink he was using so we exchanged a sheet of paper, mine printed perfectly on his printer, His paper was just as useless on my printer.
All the packets had the same batch number so i can only assume Polaroid sold the complete batch off as defective.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The problem with the German method is if the cartridge isn't very empty ink will overflow from the vent and the hole you drilled to insert the needle when you begin to inject ink into the cartridge. This is easy to understand why it happens. By injecting ink into the reservoir the air inside must find a way out. Since the reservoir is sealed and the only opening is facing the sponged chamber the air expelled out of the reservoir must go through the sponge then find an exit from the sponged chamber. If you inject ink very slowly and the cartridge is upside down the air will come out of the larger ink outlet. You will have to do it very slowly or ink will overflow from there too. Even I try to do it very slowly ink still tried to overflow from the vent or the injection hole.

This is the painful part of the German method. Because of this people tend to fill up the reservoir then stop. This leaves the sponge under saturated. Part of the sponge may dry up after many refills and the sponge is repeatedly under saturated. This will cause ink flow issues and resulting in a print head clog.