The difference in the two main refill methods

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I'm just a newbie learning heaps here, thanks all. I'm a little confused about the two most popular ways to refill a cartridge.
1...Fill from the top into the empty chamber by removing the OEM plug & refitting a new one.
2.. The so called German way of making a small hole in the bottom side of the sponge chamber.
Seeing as both methods inject ink into the empty chamber how is one considered better than the other?
They both seem to be about the same amount of effort & I'm a bit confused as to which one to use for my first refill.
Seeing as both inject into the empty chamber I can't see how this affects leakage, or does it?
Regards Rod

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Here is a good testimonial to the German method.

But the leakage issue has to do with sealing the refill hole when you're done refilling. With the top fill method, if you don't have an air-tight seal, the ink will drain right out of the reservoir into the print head, out the nozzles and all over the inside of your printer. This won't happen with the German refill method, but you still should put a piece of tape over the German refill hole. Since the seal doesn't have to be a secure on the German method, that means it is a lot easier to make the refill hole because you don't have to be concerned about an absolutely air tight seal. Also, you don't have to seal the outlet port while you are refilling.

Emerald, if you right click on the date/time tag of the post you want to link to and Copy Shortcut, it will take the user right to your post without having to search for it.

errante

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
In short, with German method you don't care about ink dipping, oversaturating the sponge, cartridge seal, etc. In practice, this means hassle-free, easy and fast refills. The internal pressure of the cartridge and the sponge works in your favor.

When you open a hole in the reservoir to refill from the top, you alter that pressure and the cartridge no longer "self-contains" the ink in a reasonably way. After refilling, the cartridge seal is another point to take care of. In my (short) experience, I refill faster and avoid worrying about the ink.

emerald said:
I use both methods. I make comparisons. See post #173.
Wow, awesome post :cool:
It goes directly to my printer section of bookmarks :)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks emerald,ghwellsjr & errante. I had no idea there were pressure issues involved & now it all makes much more sense.
Now I understand that I can read the different posts here on the subject with much more insight.
Inkjet Guru here I come:)
Regards Rod

NothingSoStrange

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm using the Canon MP800, and CLI-8 and PGI-5 series tanks. I tryed the German method, drilled a small hole in the lower-front section and inserted the needle right to the canal into the tank.. but it didn't work out well :(

I carefully injected the ink right into the reservoir with the tank in upside position (sponge was up), everythng was fine. But as soon as I removed the needle (5cm long.. 2 inch) and rotated the cartridge in the normal position the ink rapidly was absorbed by the sponge, and then splilled down the cartridge from the outlet hole AND partially from the drilled hole.

I couldn't react, I wasn't expecting that :\ - I tryed to close with the finger the bottom-hole of the tank, but the ink was dipping from the drilled hole then :O

While trying to remove the ink from the hands (well, I'll wear gloves for the next day or two :D) I began to think of another way for the ink into the tank.

--

So, for the next cart I drilled a hole directly in the reservoir (in a top-side position, not from the top or the cartridge). Before refilling I sealed with some schotch (transparent tape) the top air intake and the standard bottom hole. Rotated the tank in upside position, injected the ink up to full, then tilted the tank 90, let some ink being absorbed by the lower half of the sponge, then topped the tank with little more ink (~1ml).

Promply I sealed the hole with a small drop of hot glue, rotated the cart again in horizontal normal position, let it rest 1minute, then removed the tape from the bottom hole, ok, then from the top air intake, ok too! ink levels are stable, no unexpected dipping, printing happly!

I think the german method works only if the needle doesn't punch through the sponge, otherwise the cart will leak :\ - I'll see how to deal when I will have to remove the hot glue, but it doesen't look too bad. I'm also looking for a hole in the top section to be sealed with silicon cap or a screw, but the well placed hot glue is a safer seal (I'll see in the morning how it holds).

Sorry for the long post an sloppy english, but I jst wanted to report my first-time experience ;)

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
NothingSoStrange: Loved your post and don't think you are the only one who made a mess on their first refill. You are simply "finding your way." You will no doubt do better on the next one. Don't be afraid to try different methods. Whatever works for you. There's a dozen ways of doing the same job. We all have different ideas, tools and skills. Keep it up and let us know how the next job turns out.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
emerald said:
don't think you are the only one who made a mess on their first refill
Agree. I suspect many if not most people who attempt refilling are so frustrated by their first try that they give up and "throw in the towel". I certainly was close to that. It really does get better each attempt, so "hang in there".

OT?
For me, once you can refill confidently, printing goes from something you do rarely for only your best prints because of the ink expense, to something you can do casually as a friendly give-away.

For example, I enjoy attending a weekly portrait painting class my wife participates in at the local senior center. I try to be a "fly on the wall" and take pictures of the participants deep in concentration doing their painting ... not posed, stiff pictures . Next week, I can take in 20+ letter sized prints to give-away for what is a nominal amount even for a frugal person on a budget such as myself. Big Fun.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I suppose some trial & error is to be expected but I must say I'm surprised the poster had so much trouble using the German method. I haven't done my first refill yet & my IS inks are in the post, I was really looking forward to my first refill until I read the strange ones post. I'm feeling a bit nervous about it now.
Regards Rod