temporary ink WANTED

leatheroo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi, i am a leatherworker who is looking for a temporary inkjet ink that is removable with water. I often have to transfer a complex pattern to leather and at the moment i have to print the pattern and then trace over the image so it leaves an imprint on the leather. I am looking for an ink that will transfer to the leather but will wash off with water. I have tried the traditional inkjet inks but they stain the leather and wont wash off.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cheers
caroline

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I don't think there are too many inks out there designed for leather. Leather's very nature is porous so any ink will tend to soak into the fibers and be difficult to remove unless you completely wash out the leather which is probably not ideal for the leather's condition.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You obviously want a very different kind of ink. Here's a very different kind of ink. It's edible. But I don't know if that means it will wash off of leather.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I've work with those edible inks on birthday cakes they're just food coloring and will stain leather just as badly as regular dye based inks. It's like dye-based printer ink and takes a day or two to fully remove from skin so it's not any more washable.

leatheroo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. I have used a transfer paper called Saral...it is a graphite, waxfree paper. If i use this, the color just wipes off. I think i was hoping to find a graphite based ink. I really thought there would be something available, as the market for such a product would be HUGE in the craft world!!!!!!!!