Tech Tip: Firefox pixalation when scrolling

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Firefox web browser, weird pixel thing going on when you scroll up/down?

Worry not, this has driven me completely NUTS for the last week but it's down to the recent update.

To fix it:
- Run Firefox
- Click on "Tools" > "Options"
- Untick the "Use hardware acceleration when available" box
- Click "OK"

... and you "should" be good to go.. Reports indicate some folks don't find this works but if nothing else it should help you to know it's just the web browser and not you losing your eyesight or mind.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I'm running Firefox 19.0 and don't see a problem with the "Use Acceleration" box ticked. Perhaps it is dependent on the video hardware?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Grandad35 said:
I'm running Firefox 19.0 and don't see a problem with the "Use Acceleration" box ticked. Perhaps it is dependent on the video hardware?
That's highly likely... I've got two graphics cards that are getting a bit long in the tooth now (about 5 years old I think) so it could be that or something similar.

Either way, I thought I'd share the tip as it stopped me from losing my marbles wondering what was wrong with my PC... or more accurately, what I'd done to it this time ;)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have experienced the same problem when experimenting with old computer hardware, and the cause of the problems were often caused by the the graphics card not being big/fast enough for the job. But problems were sometimes also caused by a proper graphic card driver not installed. Even the cheapest modern graphic cards will be big enough for the job, but maybe new AGP cards are hard to find :lol:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
PeterBJ said:
I have experienced the same problem when experimenting with old computer hardware, and the cause of the problems were often caused by the the graphics card not being big/fast enough for the job. But problems were sometimes also caused by a proper graphic card driver not installed. Even the cheapest modern graphic cards will be big enough for the job, but maybe new AGP cards are hard to find :lol:
That's the crazy thing... I have two ATI cards 2000 and 4000 series, powering four screens so the cards are more than up to it... Most likely it's the multi-screen routine..

... and before you ask.. I do a lot of coding, debugging and more besides so a quad screen setup just makes life a LOT easier.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Sorry, I wrongly assumed you like me were using a crappy old computer. I guess that running four screens is quite a task for a normal computer, or even for one from the better segment.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
PeterBJ said:
Sorry, I wrongly assumed you like me were using a crappy old computer. I guess that running four screens is quite a task for a normal computer, or even for one from the better segment.
Nah... due to my coding tasks I've found the four screen setup to a boon albeit very "Mission Control" for anyone seeing if for the first time.

I suspect the clue is in the fact that both my Graphics cards are now using "Legacy" drivers so they're obviously out to pasture and may be why I had the problems... Ho hum...

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
for some reason 64 bit bus width is slow on firefox scrolls even with newer models. If you go to an old 128 bit or 256 bit wide bus on the graphic side, you're ok.
For example a simple Radeon 6450 is slow on scrolls though the chip is current but carries a 64 bit bus. An old X800 (6-7years) that carries a 128 bit bus and can keep up ( but that fan makes a whine). Integrated ATI HD3200 graphics can keep up. An older AGP Radeon 9550 128 bit bus can keep up as well. The 6450 will play videos that the x800 cannot though. Same for the 9550.
It seems like it is the throughput that the srolling is putting through and not the decode abilities I think. Video card reviews and tests all state that for normal text things, it doesn't matter nowadays that is why I got the 6450 but it ain't so. I'm not sure. I replaced the 6450 with an Nvidia GT430 (128bit) which I found to cost less than the Radeon 6450 but is miles faster. I don't play games but I want a fast screen.

The other thing that appeared odd is that it is stated that Integrated graphics are lousy performers and any outboard graphic card is superior. Again, I found the integrated HD3200 graphics to outperform the 6450. This is contrary to what I had read.

Not it is possible that the CPU is actually faster than the GPU and that is why hardware acceleration is slower. Or the hardware acceleration is not optimized and thus slower. ????

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Guys, I suggest you just use the Extended Service Release (ESR) version. That one is not updated as often, and receives only security updates until the next release in a few months. The Web site says it's intended for institutions, etc., but you can use it too. I hate to see anyone moving back to an older, unsupported, insecure version.