Switch off or leave on?

wallow

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My Epson R340 printer, in common with others, executes a cleaning cycle each time it is switched on, consuming a quantity of ink. If I simply leave it on all the time, I assume it will execute fewer cleaning cycles, consume less ink, and its life will be thereby extended. Would this be right?

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Not sure about Epson but I leave my Canon printer on all day and I never heard it doing anything until I send it a print job. I believe it does not clean the print head when it receives a print job. It will just begin to print quickly. When it's idle I believe the print head is parked regardless it is on or off. So by leaving it on at least on Canon printer it does avoid the cleaning cycles during each power up.

AlienSteve

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 3000CP Epson 1280 4800 7600
Yes, despite tales of gloom and dome that some tell, all the Epson, Canon, and HP printers I've used, worked on, etc. all park the heads. I just leave my printers on all the time unless I have some reason to turn them off.

They will still occasionally run a cleaning cycle. Nothing that I know of you can do to stop that.