swapping out a 1430 with another 1430 - need to tweak wireless connection?

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
Guess that lengthy subject line should describe my situation. My 1430 is across my small office from the router and it's been working without a hitch. A friend has just bought a 1430 refurb and I'd like to work on it for her. Can I just set my 1430 aside and put her 1430 in its place without having to re-do the wireless connection? They're both 1430s of course, but they have difference serial numbers etc.

Thanks all!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If Devices Connect Wirelessly To Printer Itself
The new printer must use the same SSID and Password as your old printer, otherwise you may have to change settings on every device in order for them to connect with the printer. The Printer's wireless radio must also be turned on, which may already be, or need to be through the printer's own settings via its software or on the control panel of the printer. Then you need to hope the wireless setup does not depend on MAC Address or some other unique identifier.

Of course, you could use WPS to connect the print wirelessly to each device one at a time. Will take time and may need to be repeated when you reinstall your old printer.

It might be prudent to print out the wireless settings, including SSID and Password, via the printer's own settings options before you disconnect your printer, and then print out the settings for the new printer if things do not work in order to help you trouble shoot.

If Devices Connect Wirelessly Through A Wireless Router (Printer wired to router)
Since the printer is connected by USB cable then the wireless radio need not be turned on. Still, the minimum of installing into the wireless router need be done, though this might be as simple as plugging it into the wireless router since you are swapping the same model printer for another.

It might be you will need to uninstall the old printer, reboot, then install the new printer. The quick start instructions for your printer do not go into much detail.

If your intention is to merely "work on it" then maybe it is best to install the new printer with a wired connection to a single computer and therefore not disrupt your working wireless setup.

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Whew! Thanks, @stratman, glad I asked. I didn't set up my printer to be in the wireless mode, someone else did, so this is beyond my pay grade.

I asked because my workroom is small, and desk space is sparse. But I'll figure out other physical arrangements... I have a 1400 that is cabled directly to a computer USB port, bypassing the router. I think I'll set that printer aside and do the work on my friend's 1430 by way of that cable.

Your post is in time too, because she's coming over to our house tomorrow morning, with her 1430.

Thanks!

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
YW

I didn't mention the example of a printer that is wired to a computer that is part of a wired LAN that wireless devices may also wirelessly access the wired LAN... but that doesn't sound like your setup.

I agree that the simplest method is to just replace your wired printer with your friend's printer and, since I don't know Epson installation routines, give a short prayer all is well without requiring a full installation. :fl

I think you'll be fine. Let us know what happens.

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
All worked out fine... I chose the simple solution to work on my friend's 1430. I simply pulled my 1400, set it aside, set her 1430 in its place, connected the USB cable to my desktop right next to it, plugged in the power cord and voila. Test print worked right away, no need to install new driver or anything.

It's nice when computers and peripherals work the way you'd like!

Thanks all.