Sun's image not visible

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Early this morning I noticed that the raising sun was showing through low cloud/mist, nicely framed by trees. It looked an attractive shot, so I took my handy snapper (Canon EOS 500D), framed and focused it nicely in the viewfinder and took a series of shots on AV, ISO 400, F7.1.

Looking at the images on the rear screen showed the trees, the misty sky, but not a trace of the sun's image, which was not bright, but clearly visible to the naked eye as a white disk in the centre. It was also an identical image in the viewfinder, but not a trace on the recorded images.

Somewhat puzzled, my conclusion is that the sun's image must have been strongly IR, visible to the eye, but not to the image sensor. Never experienced this before!

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
No thinking about it that's rubbish. I should have noted the the shutter speed, switched to manual and shortened the exposure until the sun appeared in the image. Unfortunately about 30 seconds after taking the shots the mist thickened and the sun disappeared. Still forewarned and forearmed.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes the second post makes more sense. Per definition infrared is invisible to the human eye. It is not invisible to camera sensors, so an infrared stop filter is used to prevent infrared light from affecting the image made by the visible light. The infrared stop filter is not perfect, try pointing a TV remote towards your camera and press one of the buttons on the remote. On the camera's LCD screen you should now see a white flashing light from the remote.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Early this morning I noticed that the raising sun was showing through low cloud/mist, nicely framed by trees. It looked an attractive shot, so I took my handy snapper (Canon EOS 500D), framed and focused it nicely in the viewfinder and took a series of shots on AV, ISO 400, F7.1.

Looking at the images on the rear screen showed the trees, the misty sky, but not a trace of the sun's image, which was not bright, but clearly visible to the naked eye as a white disk in the centre. It was also an identical image in the viewfinder, but not a trace on the recorded images.

Somewhat puzzled, my conclusion is that the sun's image must have been strongly IR, visible to the eye, but not to the image sensor. Never experienced this before!
Ian,
Can you post up your image you shot of the sunrise please ?
Interesting.. :rolleyes:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I am sorry but I erased them in disgust! I should have worked on them in Adobe RAW and stretched out the lighter end.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am sorry but I erased them in disgust! I should have worked on them in Adobe RAW and stretched out the lighter end.
That’s a pity Ian because this is what I got myself this morning.

Sun Rise.jpg click to enlarge.

P.S. just boasting it was sunny today and not raining….:lol:

Scot 2.jpg
YES