suggestions for inexpensive home office laser printer?

Danl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm looking for a (B&W) home office laser printer for an elderly person, who is an active writer. He uses an inkjet printer right now, but the cost of cartridges is a handicap, and he's not easily able to do resetting, liquid ink refilling, and cartridge cleaning. Ideally this laser printer would be inexpensive, good quality, *and* easily refillable. USB connectivity is fine, but a wifi connection might be nice. I don't care about print speed, duplex, or many paper sizes. Ideas? I'm particularly interested in refillability. What make of cartridges are easiest to refill?

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Actually, refilling toner cartridges is generally much much more difficult than refilling an ink cartridge since the toner cartridges contain not only the toner but also a bunch of other machenics parts. You can consider an CISS with external ink tank for easy refilling and arc chip for auto resetting. Or if you still wanna use a laser one, a laser printer with separate drum and toner is ideal for refilling, like the one of Brother branch, I think (?)

Danl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, I do a lot of ink cartridge refilling, and I know someone who does toner refilling (with a toner cartridge), and I have to say that the latter seems easier than the former. But yes, I was thinking about a Brother, for which the toner cartridge refilling appears to be just matter of popping a cap, dumping the old toner, pouring in new toner, and then a few minutes resetting the counter-gear. That's a matter of removing two screws. Also, one has to refill ink far more frequently than one has to refill toner.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Just be careful since powder/toner is much much more dangerous than ink. If one blow it up and accidentally inhale it, it's not fun! With ink it's very unlikely you can unintentionally..drink it!

If you still wanna go with laser: buy some more cartridges refilled already and ready to be used. Now, it will be as simple as changing an OEM cartridge! (You can do the same with inkjet, though.)