suggestions for inexpensive coated inkjet paper

twinkle

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm looking for a paper in 24-30lbs range that can print decent business graphics or kids artwork. Most papers that one can buy for $8/500 seem to be uncoated, and coated bond papers from Canon or Epson are very expensive... Any suggestions for paper under 10c/sheet?

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Just keep an eye out on Staples. They often have HP Everyday Paper, 8.5 x 11, 50 sheets, on sale for $1 or less (back to school season will even see free paper) after Easy Rebate (you submit them online instead of having to cut out UPC codes). Rarer is the Staples Photo Supreme Matte, which used to go on sale all the time but is only seen a few times a year now. Yes, you have to up front the full cost but Easy Rebates are the only ones I'll do. I refuse to support mail-in rebates that the other office supply stores have, though I think Staples still has an exclusivity contract with many vendors regarding the service. Usually your limit to buy is 2, so I grab it every time it's on sale. I have a huge stack of paper now that I can use for proofing or whatever without thinking about price at all. Also, if you are worried about not getting the rebate, just don't open it. Staples has an unlimited time return policy on non-tech items as long as it's unopened and still carried in stores.

Their other rebate cycle is 4 x 6 photo paper, the Kodak 4-star, the Staples mid-level, and the HP Everyday paper. I also pick up 2 reams of copy paper whenever it's $1 or less, but lately it's $3 after rebate, which is about the same price you can get it without a rebate in Walmart.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Ditto on the Staples info from Fenrir. Sign up for the online weekly ad from Staples. They often also let you see the following week ad. The Photo Supreme double sided matte is 8.5x11 and is an excellent weight for greeting cards as well as other printing chores. I think it is one of the best matte photo papers I've used. It comes in 50 sheet packages and sells for about $14. Like Fenrir, I carefully watch the ads and buy this paper when it is on sale for either $1 or $2. I've never bought it at the listed price. The other paper I've bought there is their 4x6 glossy photo paper - 60 sheets for $1 after rebate. Good enough results for keds artwork, proofing, or casual photos.

Staples had a "reward" program that periodically gives you a coupon for a percentage of previous purchases that you can spend in the store. Sign up for it so you can do the "Easy" rebates online.(their term for their online rebate program.)

The paper I use routinely, other than the Staples photo supreme double matte, is the Kirkland (costco brand) glossy photo paper in both 8.5x11 and 4x6 sizes. Really good glossy photo paper at a great price. Many of the participants on this forum use this paper.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
twinkle said:
I'm looking for a paper in 24-30lbs range that can print decent business graphics or kids artwork. Most papers that one can buy for $8/500 seem to be uncoated, and coated bond papers from Canon or Epson are very expensive... Any suggestions for paper under 10c/sheet?
The last time I looked at plain paper from a variety of sources, most came coated with ColorLok which improves the durability of dye inks. It really has no effect on the image quality. Is that the type of coating you are looking for? You can get more information by doing a search on ColorLok.