Suggestions for All in one colour printer with refillable carts?

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Redbrickman said:
Perhaps you can advise if the refurb printers come with a set of carts, as that is not stated, either on the page or on the page which explains refurbished procedures?

I'm happily awaiting my second printer this month, could become addictive ;)
All the printers I have obtained from this source previously have come with OEM carts packed in Canon cartons or shrinkwrap. For a time (after this ), I believe they came with printhead and the inks installed before dispatch , hopefully they have now dispensed with this restrictive aspect and reverted to leaving installation to the buyer.

The inks are mentioned properly in the sellers listing of the item , there is no mention anywhere that I can see that they are not included. The ink is worth 60-70 , I cannot believe they would sell without it or without mentioning it. You may often see the "chassis "for sale by re-sellers , this is where the re-seller has already removed the ink and printhead (and possibly CD tray ) , each for seperate sale, this allows them to make a profit on the original complete item as purchased from Canon Ebay.

Regarding addiction , I cannot advise on this , there was talk of some "Printer Methadone" being available for injection , either by Top-fill or Durchstich method, but they were probably just rumours.

I recommend using an appropriate chip resetter for your MP640 carts when you re-fill.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
headphonesman said:
Regarding addiction , I cannot advise on this , there was talk of some "Printer Methadone" being available for injection , either by Top-fill or Durchstich method, but they were probably just rumours.
It's a lie.. I've never supplied that... and my solicitor says he'll sue anyone who says different..

*puts little baggies of powdered cartridges back in his overcoat*

:/;)

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
headphonesman said:
It's a lie.. I've never supplied that... and my solicitor says he'll sue anyone who says different..

*puts little baggies of powdered cartridges back in his overcoat*

:/;)
"methinks he doth protest too much"?

I deliberately held back from being too specific regarding the likely source , all I was told was that the kingpin dealer had an alias "The Barnsley Chop" , due to a prediliction/fetish for regular orgies involving this dish........but it was just rumours, as I say...

To legitamise this thread entry I would seriously state that Canon themselves are striving to curb any likleyhood of addiction to buying printers on a frequent basis by maintaining the outrageously high price of carts and ensuring that no new printer will allow refilled carts to be used by enthusiasts , as far as I can see , they will succeed.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
One more question about the MP640 which is on it's way to me having just managed to get one before they dry up on the Canon outlet.

I see that Canon list two BK carts, 520 BK and 521 BK. I assume one is specifically for photos, and as I don't intend to use the printer for photos can I use two BK normal carts to give me more time before refills when printing text?

What is the significance for refilling also, can I refill two standard BK carts with normal dye based ink and use them in the printer?

Sorry if this seems a bit basic but I can't seem to find any other info on this.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Redbrickman said:
One more question about the MP640 which is on it's way to me having just managed to get one before they dry up on the Canon outlet.

I see that Canon list two BK carts, 520 BK and 521 BK. I assume one is specifically for photos, and as I don't intend to use the printer for photos can I use two BK normal carts to give me more time before refills when printing text?

What is the significance for refilling also, can I refill two standard BK carts with normal dye based ink and use them in the printer?

Sorry if this seems a bit basic but I can't seem to find any other info on this.
The two black carts are different. One is larger than the other, the PG520 , and contains pigment ink, used for printing text in standard mode. The other is smaller ,the 521 and contains Photo black and is used when the Photo paper mode is used.

As they are different dimensions neither is interchangeable with the other within the printhead. You cannot/must not fill the small one with re-fill pigment ink. You can refill the larger one with re-fill dye ink instead of pigment ink.
Many re-fill ink suppliers do not bother to supply Pigment ink in bulk but instead advise refilling the PG520 with the dye (photo) black. This is what I do , there is less chance of the text nozzles getting clogged with dye ink rather than pigment , but if you can obtain bulk pigment black then refill with it if you so wish.
Using dye for text is fine as long as the printed paper is not subjected to moisture , where it is not "fast" and will smudge or run , bad if it is on a label in the rain on the outside of a parcel.
To make it "stick" spray with hairspray or watercolour fixative.

In any re-fill scenario always monitor the ink levels frequently of the carts , if you try to print with an empty cart , the printhead can "fry" , to replace is not cheap , (but may be worth it if the next printer you have to buy does not allow re-fill)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
headphonesman said:
The two black carts are different. One is larger than the other, the PG520 , and contains pigment ink, used for printing text in standard mode. The other is smaller ,the 521 and contains Photo black and is used when the Photo paper mode is used.
It would be more accurate to say that the pigment black is used when printing anything, including photos, on plain paper and the dye black is use when printing anything, even text, on any photo paper. There is never a time when both black inks are used together (except during a nozzle check).

There is one exception to this rule, specificallly, if you specify borderless printing it will always use the dye black.