Suggest a Method to refill tricolour HP carts

novice

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am getting good results once I started refilling Black HP cartridges thru head. However, still I am getting poor results by refilling colour carts mainly HP 28, 57, 22 etc.

Anybody here suggest various methods used for refilling HP colour carts, and which method to follow for good results.

Is it possible to refill by opening the top cover (where label is located )? Any special tool required for this?

Currently I am filling by needles thru three holes on top cover.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Just a thought here. It may be a good idea to use smaller diameter screw and thread to begin with. Since you are using metal screws the thread may wear out faster. If it ever happens then you move to the next size of a larger diameter screw and thread. I have not done it but this may make good sense. Good luck.

kudos

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello,

I do this for a living! Needle fill in most cases always works. The 3 hole through the top is fine. Make sure you put the color in the right place HP puts the colors wrong on the top to mess you up. It is key while filling the siringe to push a small amount of ink through the needle before inserting into cart. You do this so that when you start pushing ink into the resovior you do not blow air into cartridge causing what is known as vapor lock. Insert the needle (you should use a 14mm needle) all the way in and pull out just a little. A little being a cm. Slowly but steadily push the ink into the cart. The colors depending on the cart will take 3 to 5 grams (grams = mililiters) per color. Get a gram scale this really helps and is how we do it. Another tip or key do not run the cartidge dry you will have a better refill and you do not burn up the head in the cart. Just FYI empty weight of HP 57 is around 30 to 36 grams. Full weight 49 to 55 grams. HP did something to new cartridges in the U.S. anyway because they seem to be 5 grams heavier!? That is why I am giving ranges. If you have a refill clip you can suction the bottom of the head with the siringe. If not then just run your head cleaning program a few times before printing. Hope that helps a little.

:) Peace