Success/failure stories with HP 564/364/920 etc.?

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
The original Canon patents refer to a possible problem with air in the sponge after refilling, which can limit ink flow. There are numerous references to this and similar problems with Canon printers in this forum and elsewhere. Nevertheless, many people report considerable, repeated success, which demonstrates that there are techniques to avoid the problems.

The HP564 and HP364 cartridges (and probably some others) are very similar to some of the Canon cartridges, and can be refilled by the same methods, except that they seem to a different type of sponge material than I have observed in HP564 cartridges. I think it goes without saying that any difference in sponge material might have an effect on refilling and performance.

Since HP owners seem to be less represented on this forum, there is not as much information for HP. I am wondering what kind of experience people have had with refilling HP564 and HP364 cartridges, particularly the XL variants. Of course we see problems reported on this site, but if a number of people report repeated success, that would be a very good sign.

So I am interested in brief stories of success or failure. Be sure to state succinctly, what cartridge and what refill method you used (e.g., top fill, German method under/through sponge, Freedom fill, etc.). Please do limit your reports to HP cartridges similar to HP564/364 or HP 564XL, HP 364XL, etc. Note that these are cartridges that have separate sponge and reservoir chambers, and do NOT have a built-in print head. Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There is no reason not too after all if HP are similar to Canon cartridges
then it shouldnt take too long to crack the nut. :celebrate

The Canon 225/226 and PGI-9s were a big problem when they started out first but now therere a push over
all because of guys reported on their refilling and misfiling successes and failures.

So come on all you guys that have HP printers and lend a hand in this,
report on your attempts to refill these HP564/364 or HP 564XL, HP 364XL cartridges,
success or failure it doesnt matter.
Anything everything..:thumbsup

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
is there is update for HP 564 cart.?

i think now all companies tend to use commercial cartidges that go back more of money like HP transfer from cart. with head IPH and without IIC.
i just here want ask is it also HP 564 same design like 920?

there is now same desgins to all cartdiges. but just differ in size and i think HP follow Canon in its cartidges to seprate prinhead from the cartidge.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
issa2011 said:
i just here want ask is it also HP 564 same design like 920?
I think so. The pictures look very similar. Do you have a story?

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
hahhahha
i have failture story because i using bad ink its korean but used for general purpose cartidges (i think its for cartidges for integrated prinhead) i dont think that is HP officejet that have sensitive printhead so i refill it with G-ink then first time its seem to be good but after 3rd time its clog printhead, then wht i do i clean printhead again and dont know the problem from ink ......

then i buy oem cart its work fine the try again same ink and refill from veny hole again and again until finally know the reason thats in ink ....

so finally i buy CISS system and unstalled it and now its work fine with no problems just magenta color not work cause its cartiadge stuck from its place for some seconds while installing, and now try way to clean magenta nozzle without reinstall ciss again.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Since I've been asked, my own story is not very interesting. I am still awaiting the conclusion. I'm using the Freedom method. I've had poor results so far, which may be due to some combination of my mistakes and/or cartridge and/or ink and/or print head problems.

nerdful1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
HP c309a printer. Success lately, don't know how long lived.

I'll post photos and details of my journey soon, but right now, after many weeks, two printheads, old/new carts, refillable carts, mine has been perfect for 2 days, sitting overnight with no color mixing or bleeding.

Windows color vs. Linux fidelity is another story. I think it is in my HPLIP drivers, but that is not the printer's fault.

Last refills were done on some refillable with plug and one or two oem standard size.

On the refillables, I dripped into opening until ink starts to leak from vent.
Turned over, let drain from outlet onto smooth countertop, no towel. Usually just a few drops.
Cap the in outlet opening.

Unplug the xl tank, fill about 3/4, be sure plug is clean and dampened with water, and the hole wiped of ink. Replug.

Uncap cart, check that it is not dripping, put in printer.

OEM carts, same as above, without tank process, just drip into sponge till vent leaks.

Attached a colostomy bottle to ink waste hose.

I think the printer is set up to give "ink system failure" at either estimated time to tell you to toss it, and/or maybe back pressure from clotted pads makes it fail.

I have battery moved to outer side of PCB so I can remove it in the future.

Hope it outlasts my ink supply. (MIS pints).
)