Subdividing the Manufacturer Inkjet Areas? What do you think?

F

FastForward

I am a new member of the forum and last night I was doing some reading in the Canon area as I am a Canon user. I find that due to the fact that all types of Canon models are all in one gigantic mess of a main thread, it makes it very hard to find information specific to your own model. Add to that Canon's regional specific model and cart numbers and what you end up with is one huge mess of information that is much more difficult to navigate than it needs/could be.

I think that the Canon section could be divided into 3 or 4 simple sub threads such as:

Budget / Tri-color

Home / Small Office

Business

Large Format / Fine Art

or maybe by cart type:

Tri-color

Unchipped Clear Cartridges

Chipped Clear / Windowed Cartridges

Chipped Opaque Cartridges

What exists already would not need to be sorted if it had its own General / Archive heading.

So folks/powers that be what do you think?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Know what you mean but the problem is that unless you are particularly clued up on what each subdivision actually is or means it gets messy with grey areas between say a Business and Small Office unit, etc...

I'm pretty sure this sort of thing was discussed a year or so ago and the decision then was to subdivide the manufacturers a little but even then it's not 1 each as some brands get no input at all.

From memory I think the decision was to try and get some more articles written up about specific topics but beyond that, for members to chip in and help point out the "good stuff". Obviously that only works if the query gets posted but it seems to work overall..

The problem with lots of subdivisions include:
- lots of tumbleweed forum spaces
- lots of work recategorising things
- lots of cross-over and/or grey-areas where post on topics (eg: bubble jet nozzle cleaning) are relevant to more than one type of printer.
- need to police/moderate posts/users that post in wrong place, etc... (more moderation is not a positive move IMHO)
- loss of community feel

It's one of those things where efficiency is great but at a cost... but that's just my opinion and based on what I found from running a few forums waaaaaay back.

Edit: I wrote this and then found your "poll"... You see the bit about "community"... It's important.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Not a good idea. What I post for my HP opaque cartridges also applies to Canon clear cartridges. And I could use my "home/office" printer in a business.

I'm not going to vote in that poll.

F

FastForward

ThrillaMozilla said:
Not a good idea. What I post for my HP opaque cartridges also applies to Canon clear cartridges. And I could use my "home/office" printer in a business.

I'm not going to vote in that poll.
The OEMs are already subdivided. I read the thread for input on the changes to the forum and mikling had the same ideas. The powers that be said that it was necessary to separate the OEMs to improve the forum so with Canon having 75% of the questions/posts and I think that it is a good idea to subdivide.