Streaked Cyan even with printhead replacement - Pixma iP4000

cksdjs

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My cyan began streaking, and a nozzel check was fine on reg. cyan, but streaked on the lt. cyan strip. Eventually, after multiple cleanings, both shades of the cyan showed streaked on the nozzle check. I put in a clean printhead, cleaned previously and stored sealed like when new, which printed all colors without streaks. I put the other printhead in to soak overnight like I must do periodically for a couple years. I then dry them for a couple days, repackage and seal - and this has always made them work like new the next time.

After printing a few pages on plain paper with standard quality, the cyan began streaking again, both reg. and lt. nozzle check. I tried a few cleanings, with no change. I made sure the cartridge was changed, in case something was in the ink of the first cartridge - no change.

The drivers were replaced only a couple months ago, when I bought this new 1 TB, 64-bit computer.

Since it is the same color, with 2 different printheads, I am beginning to wonder if the printer itself might be causing the problem, since it has age on it, and even squeaks pretty bad sometimes, especially during cleaning. What is it anyway, with this cyan ink? Lots of people seem to be reporting problems involving only the cyan; I had never noticed any extra problems with the cyan before...maybe the pigment black, but not the cyan.

By the way, now I have discovered that as long as I have the printer settings on "Glossy Photo Paper" and "High" quality, it will so-far print cards or pages, without streaks - no matter what kind of paper I am printing on. A nozzle check still shows streaks because you cannot set paper and quality for nozzle checks. It prints awfully slow on those settings, and of course for some things, the extra ink-use is not practicle.

cksdjs

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Update -- Now it has began streaking even on the high quality glossy photo paper settings. I got about 10 of my Christmas Cards printed.

I took the printhead out again, and cleaned the cyan port using the pressure method with a tube syringe like I read about in another forum subject. The cyan is STILL streaked even on the high quality settings. Could it be the cartridge? ... even though 2 different cyan cartridges have streaked? Two different printheads have done it.

Is it time to get another printer down out of the closet?