Strange print results on a HP PhotoSmart 8180 All-in-One

8POMbert

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Use an HP PhotoSmart 8180 All-in-One, for almost a year, with great results. Use a refillable system for the inks, do a lot of scrapbooking photos. Again with no problems for months. Now I get a print that starts out fine, and about a 1/4 into the print process the inks seem to respond awkward. The color goes as if I'm running out of cyan(mostly), sometimes also magenta, then forms very light streaks in a vertical fashion. Then I go ...Print a web page with graphics, a letter, a sign and no problem all the way as usual. Print a photo onto plain paper and it goes great, there is no sign of the previous error. Try again to print a photo onto photo paper and it goes a little further or sometimes less before starting to do the prior print error to the photo. Any and all help needed, really don't want to go out for another so soon. Tried reinstalling software and upgrading ,and still the same results. Has anyone come across a problem like this, again Thanks for the time and Help...

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Are you refilling the cartridges ?

How is the result of the print test page ?

Looks like the printhead is being starved of ink

tsiya

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I had this problem with a D7260, I think it's the same head. I never did get it cleared up and it is a major job to remove the head.

8POMbert

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have been filling my cartridges myself, without a problem, also all the test pages and print head cleaning results are excellent, that is what really is crazy. But how could the printer be starved if all other project attempted come out perfectly fine as before and only the photo prints be affected like this? I can not even imagine getting to the print head of this one. I even broke out my old 930C and got some new inks for it just to do some of the things I do for the holidays, but the quality is just not the same. It will be cheaper to get a new one than go to the trouble of sending it out if I can't do the job myself. Thanks again to all.

dshils

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I had the very same thing happen to me after three months, went with test pages and print head cleaning several times and it solved the problem. Also call HP for service, they replaced my printer in 4 days, No charge.