strange PGBK Behaviour on ip4200

aeronic

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Looking at this nozzle check of my ip4200 PGBK shows a small gap on the right hand column.
The consequences are horrendious tho.

Any suggestions??

PGBK.jpg

ps. i've done all cleaning options - regular and 'deep'

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Although it looks strange it can be a clog still. When a clog is formed it usually is too late to unclog by cleaning cycles. But it's probably never too late to unclog a pigmented ink print head channel by other means. One very effective method is to blast it with a PGI-5 refilled with dye black ink. Many cheap 3rd party BCI-3ebk pre-filled cartridges in fact contain dye black ink. Printing quality although not as good as pigmented ink it does one good thing for your print head. It keeps your print head cleaned. If you have another PGI-5 cartridge which is already empty you can purge it first and fill it with dye black ink and use it in the printer. Prime the print head by a cleaning cycle then print some text. After some printing the clog will clear. Well, if it is a clog it will. If it is something else then it probably won't make any difference.

aeronic

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
However I thought that using dye ink could damage the print head (may already be damaged?)

Is there any other way of cleaning - using water?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
It doesn't look like a clog to me. If it were, you should see the same pattern all across the page.

I'm guessing that you printed this nozzle check on glossy photo paper designed for dye ink. Pigment black ink can easily be scraped, scratched, or wiped off of glossy photo paper. If this is the case, try printing your nozzle check on plain paper.

If the defect continues to show on plain paper, then you probably have some kind of debris inside your printer that is wiping the pigment ink off before it gets a chance to dry.

aeronic

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This is BKPG - only really used for regular A4 text printing - the nozzle check is done on the same paper (regular 90gsm plain paper).

Ps, have printed photos fine and there is no 'scraping off' i'm afraid.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I still don't believe it is clogged nozzles because it shouldn't show a tapered pattern. There must be something preventing the nozzles for depositing the ink on the paper as the print head moves across the page. Have you removed the print head from the printer and taken a good look at it and at the area below where the print head resides? Try opening the cover so the print head moves to the middle, then unplug the power so you can slide the carriage back and forth with the print head removed while examining the area where the print head would go. See if you can find a torn piece of paper or some other debris down there.

Sashco

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have almost the same problem. PGBK cartridge on my ip4200 shows white lines when printing text in Standard Quality but when I switch to High Print Quality there are no lines. I tried cleaning it using built-in methods but no use. After the cleaning it goes even worse, the number of white lines increases. Number of white lines decreases after several printed pages.

When I print photos everything seems to be OK.

aeronic

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
i found that before this happened, the black cartridge was flooding the print head.
Do you refill your own? or use compatibles?

knuckles_red

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello. I've been following the forum for a while. I own a Canon IP4500, and sucessfully used the german method to fill the CLI-8 's with Hobbicolors...
Unfortunatly, i get the same as aeronic when printing using PGBK now - only from the PGI-5BK cartridge

My printer has never been dissassembled, hardly used, and running hobbicolors for 2 weeks now.

My initial thoughts is some fluff maybe under the last of nozzles on the Pigment black array.

Alternatively, it could be related to the ink spaller in the position sensor belt (around green edited diamonds)
1.jpg

2.jpg

Aeronic - did you manage to solve the problem?

knuckles_red

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
After lots of cleaning, i find the distorted smudging and semi-clogged nozzle behaviour is moving further down on the test print array
Maybe this isdue to the drag of the paper gradually moving some fluff /obstruction downwards
3.jpg

4.jpg