Storing bulk ink

zack23

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello all -

I recently bought a large bottle of pigment black ink, and now realize it is likely to last me for several years. My apartment can get very hot during the summer if I am not around during the day (can frequently hit 95°F inside), so I'm wondering whether it might be advisable to store the ink in my refrigerator, at least during the summer. I realize I would probably need to let the ink warm up to room temperature before using it for refilling.

Any thoughts, or other ideas for long-term storage? Thanks!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@zack23, What you need to do is fill a small bottle up from the larger bottle and keep the larger bottle in the refrigerator, and just use the smaller bottle, it will stay fresh if the bottle is kept sealed...

We called it a Fridge on this side of the pond..;)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Heat will certainly cause your pigment black ink to degrade in one way or another faster than if stored in a cool, dry, place away from direct sunlight.

But will the cold, dry darkness of your refrigerator prevent desiccation of the ink sooner, or degradation that may occur with cycles of warmth and cold with possible condensation and separation of the ink constituents, than if left in a cool, dry, place away from direct sunlight? Depends on what the ink is stored in and how well the refrigerator is temperature and humidity controlled.

I have stored dye-based ink for over eight years before noticing a problem (particulates suspended in the ink) and immediately discarded. Pigment Black ink stored for at least 5 years and possible longer demonstrated a slight thickening in the stored original bottle but without known performance issues. These inks were stored in a cool, dry, place away from direct sunlight in the basement.

My brief search of MSDS parameters for my Canon ink did not reveal temperature data points. Take a look at the Operating Environment parameters (eg temperature) listed in your printer's User Manual to give an insight on acceptable parameters. The parameters for my Canon MP830 are

Operating environment:
Temperature: 5 to 35°C (41 to 95°F)
Humidity: 10 to 90%RH (no condensation

Maybe someone has actual manufacturer data to back up their advise.

zack23

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Hat - using a small bottle for refilling while keeping the large bottle of reserve ink in the fridge is pretty much what I was planning on doing, since it would be awkward to fill the syringes from the large bottle in any case.

Stratman - I understand that storage in a "cool, dry" location would be ideal, but during the summer I don't really have such a place. As Hat suggested, I can store ink in a small bottle for immediate refilling needs and just leave the large bottle of reserve ink in the fridge during the summer months, so it won't go through multiple heating/cooling cycles. And with luck, I'll use up that bottle in less than 8 years! :)