Storage of filled Canon cartridges

nelda

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just found this forum recently and have enjoyed perusing all of your combined wisdom and experiences.

I'm not totally new to refilling - but I had been refilling the OEM cartridges and not the designed-for-refill ones. I always had trouble with the air-tight seal of the fill hole. I don't have a drill so I have to use the hole that remains after removing the plastic ball-plug. The little black plugs from older generic refill kits don't always seal well.

There were several favorable comments about HobbiColor, so I ordered a refill kit from them from ebay. I am hoping that these cartridges will make refilling a bit easier for me. They didn't have my kit (5 color Pi5000) , so I ordered the 4 color BCI-6. I have several prefilled (non-OEM) BCI-3e cartridges, so I'll get along for a while. The completed auctions do show that they carry my kit, so I'll wait until it shows up.

My question is how do you keep the filled cartridges ready for use? I saw the contraption someone had devised, but I am afraid that I don't have a drill avalibale. Is there an easier way to store them without risking that they will leak and/or dry out? In the past I usually ran out of ink, filled up then and there, and put the cartridge back in. I'd like to have at least one extra set around for use. Also, I have an empty set of OEM BCIs that I would like to modify, fill, an keep for use. Right now I just have them stored with tape over all openings.

What is the best sorce for storage clips, and are they effective?

Thank you in advance. I apologize if this has been addressed. I think I read about every post and faq that I could find.

Nelda

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Nelda, welcome to the forum!

For long term storage the acrylic cartridge clips are definitely the way to go. My original ones came with my cartridges and I continue to use them. I wonder if someone were to find a distributor if we could do a group buy as I'm sure there would be a bit of interest in this.

Also, make sure you securely seal the air maze above the sponge and also the refill hole very well for any long term storage.

Others recommend to use the original cartridge orange covers / clips and use rubber bands to hold them tight. It seems a bit precarious to me, but I hear it works.

Good luck and keep us posted with what you find.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Nelda,

I bought my BCI-6 storage clips here:
http://216.219.159.185/bci6clip.html
http://216.219.159.185/tools.html#anchor11607

I store my carts in food storage containers like this (shown with the lids removed):
IMG_9512.JPG

Put a folded paper towel in the bottom of each container, wet it with water, then add an ounce or so of rubbing alcohol to prevent bacterial growth. Keep the lid sealed, and you do not have to tape over the vent hole, since the air inside the container will be at 100% RH and the carts will not dry out. Put your empties back into the clips that held the carts that were just put into the printer, and store the empties in the same containers until you are ready to refill. You may have to periodically add some more alcohol to the towel when you refill.

nelda

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you every one for the information and feedback.

Nifty-Rob: wht type of cartridges came with the clip, and where did you order them? Have they lasted long?

drc-Ron: thank you for the email and link. I have already emailed them about changing the order. If not, I do have i50, so I can put the artridges to work.

Grandad: You have a nice system there (if only I could be as organized). Thanks for the link. I have already gone to the website and and am almost ready to order some clips. Does anone know anything about the "Canon self tapping screws " that they offer (http://inkjetsaver.com/tools.html#anchor82978), near the bottom of the page above the vacuum tools? I thought that I might get them as well.

Thank you-all again.....Nelda

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I use the Hobbicolors kit, the carts have the plastic screw for easy fillup.
The orange plastic clip is simple to reuse with the rubber band technique:no eyeball bulging, muscles straining clamps and torsion bars required.
The ink (even when filled to the top of the reservoir) exerts very little pressure ;)

"Others recommend to use the original cartridge orange covers / clips and use rubber bands to hold them tight. It seems a bit precarious to me, but I hear it works."

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
nelda said:
Nifty-Rob: wht type of cartridges came with the clip, and where did you order them? Have they lasted long?
I got them with my Arrow cartridges from Alotofthings.com. I can't recommend these cartridges, but the clips have done very well and lasted a very long time.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I store only one spare set of cartridges. This is how:

cartridge_storage.jpg