Step by Step guide to printing with Color Management: Canon

ronzie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It associates any number of profiles to a specific device within a device class and lets you set a default. When looking at an application you'll get the list of profiles that you can select from. I put in the profile name when I create it the paper and ink used.
6096_ms_color_management_applet_screen1.jpg

msmart said:
Here's an unbroken link:

Microsoft Color Control Panel Applet for Windows XP

But I'm not sure how useful it will be given the need to profile different papers and printable discs.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
You will need to test whether this method provides the same output as that produced by properly color managed programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom etc. My experience after many tries years ago is that it does not produce the same results. I could be wrong but, there are things like color space and rendering intent that this applet did not have at least when I tried it many years ago. Additionally even some programs like ACDSEE products that I had tried color management with output pictures that are different from Adobe products and Qimgae. For this reason, I did not include instructions for ACDSEE until I figure out what the peculiarity is and had given up for years.... right now I have abandoned print functions with ACSsee. A search about ACDSEE and color management has many other users also experiencing difficulties as well so either we all doing something wrong or there is something there that is indeed odd or tricky.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
The association of profiles and printers in this microsoft tool seems to be exactly the same as you have in the normal windows control panel of printers:
- "let windows .." or - "manually select.."
Problem is that you can manually associate only one profile at a time. And it is annoying to change the profile in the setting every time you change the paper. This should to be changeable in the menu / driver of the printer!

But it is nice to see the gamut of the different DIY profiles and compare them with others...

ronzie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You can only associate one default profile. You can associate multiple profiles per device and in many color management applications for that device is the list that appears in the dropdown for that printer. Mine will be not just for the paper type but for the non-OEM ink I'll be going to.

The Canon driver I have does not let me choose select the icm so at first I did have to select a default this way. I now use QImage Pro to drive the printer:
http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/editions.htm
as my editor does soft proofing but will not color manage the printer like Photoshop offers. If I chose to use in this old S820 driver to enable .icm all colors in contrast and saturation were off. A Canon tech advised this feature was not functional.

I acquired a Color Munki to create profiles for this printer. and colors and luminance with soft proofing are very close now to the hard copy.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I added a summary of profiles for many popular printers on the first page.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I just finished profiling an i960

What a suprise! an EXTREMELY CAPABLE printer. Using the BCI-6 cartridges with no chip issues etc. Will post profiles later.

I'm not sure that after all these years whether any significant progress has been made on the Canon front since this generation of printer.

If you have one, and its printhead is tired, Getting a replacement head could be tempting. For one thing it is not lacking print quality and it is fast.

ronzie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I profiled the S820 which uses six BCI-6 cartridges as well. I purchased enough combo packs so as soon as I have six empties I'll flush, fill, and then insert them to get a ready profile of the OCP six pints of the dye inks it requires. I'm getting good quality with the OEM ink and expect good quality with the OCP set.

Now that I have the time to put into photography especially the digital darkroom ink volume use has become a serious $$$ consideration. I've been through years ago an Epson Stylus (1200 I think), an Alps dye-sub that used typewriter style dye-sub ribbons that suffered some slight banding, and the the Canon which has worked well and provided decent prints since I first spotted it many years ago.

Print head strips are still available for it at about $100 US. The 960 I think is a later version with smaller droplets but the same color quality (the 960 OEM profile is slightly different with more saturation in magenta when it is used with the S820 which never had a dedicated profile supplied with it - shame on Canon). That prompted my purchase of the Color Munki Photo and now color balance and saturation is as anticipated.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the 960.

kbweaver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Ip4200.rar download contains 2 .icm files - one ending in "G" and the other ending in "N". Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 2?

This newbie thanks you in advance,

kbweaver

DAgger99

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Maybe soon there will be a profile for the MP-990 (Precision Colors, Kirkland Pro Glossy)