Starting an ink refill business without any machine?

oroszi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi there.
My wife recently lost here job, and I was thinking to help her with an ink refill business. The only "problem" is that she doesn't like machines, computers etc.
Is it possible to start this kind of business without using (at least at the beginning...) a refilling machine?
Thank you!

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You can start by using refill kits to refill inkjet cartridges, but I don't see much profit unless you have high demand, which you would be able to supply using just the refill kits.
Solely my opinion. Anybody else?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Injecting ink into an ink cartridge with sponges and built in print head is easy. Getting the the cartridge to work properly after refill is not always easy. How would you test the cartridge without a printer for that cartridge or without a special test printer/machine? You will need a lot of different printers or special test equipment. I have refilled many of these cartridges and my success rate is well below 50%.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You also have to be concerned about customers who take a refilled cartridge home and find that it doesn't work or that the ink fades after a few months. I don't think refilling is a business that anyone should start if they have to ask questions like the ones you're asking. Are you in a location that doesn't already have lot's of well-established ink-refillers already? Even many drugstores are offering this service. Why do you think anyone would go to your wife?

oroszi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies.
To Ghwellsjr: I'm asking this question, because (besides my wife doesn't like tech) where I am located, it's very difficult (and twice as expensive) to get a refilling machine. Also we thought about this business because there actually no companies, drugstores, or ink refillers that provide the service.
With no offense to PeterBJ, I heard better numbers (less than 50% success rate) searching n the Internet. However, is there any way to increase that number?
Again, thank you all for your help.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Are there several places where people can buy OEM or third-party ink cartridges?

oroszi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
As far as I know there are 3 or 4 places downtown, and the majority of the population lives in a neighborhood 4 clics away, where I live... and no ink sell or refill in the hood.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
How many people live in your neighborhood and how far away is 4 clics?

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
clicks is a military destination term for 1000 meter or 1 kilometer (0.62 miles)