Starter Advice.

GeekInks

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I run my own small ink refill business as a side to my PC Repair shop (Small town, many hats etc.)

I currently refill based soley on directions from my ink distributer ASCII Inks (oddparts.com) I refill using a syringe method (Crude but mostly effective). I have a chip resetter for Epson carts and thats about the limit of my inventory. I currently refill about 3 carts a day. For the last 4 or 5 months.

I've learned a lot from that, taking apart a few carts, and just using my limited smarts.

I've stumbled upon a few problems though I've had a lot of trouble solving and I'd love to be able to fix them.

1. I can't tape carts right. If the blue sealing tape even looks wrong at the print head its ink mixing city. I've over come this by simply not touching the tape to the head and telling customers to store the carts head side up in a ziplock bag. I know there is a better way but I dont want to invest 1000's in to a refill machine that can only do a few kinds of carts.

2. I think this is related to the above I hear a lot about vaccum filling and I'd love to find a way to do it I saw this link on the site

this is the cheapest method i ever see over the net about ink jet refill. http://inkjetsaver.com/prounits.html

Last edited by windshield (08-31-2006 01:38:58)

If anyone thinks that would work for refilling multiple cartridge types I'll buy one in a snap.

3.Storage and sealing. Do I seal my fill holes, are drilled or melted or poked better. And how do I get some snazzy labels for my refilled carts?

Thanks
I love this site by the way I think you guys just became my home page :)

PS if you have any computer questions I'm always happy to give a hand.

Justin @ Geek Inks
Tech-Geek.net

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I'll point you to inkprocess site where Mick Carlotta explains how taping works and how to do it properly. I've followed his directions and have never cross contaminated and always sealed perfectly. All you need is a spray bottle, blue tape and a cartridge clip or some sort of vise or clamp and rubber pad for about 10 to 15 minutes if done properly. I don't see a need for a sealing machine in your situation.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
mikling , I would appreciate that information as well. I, too, refill seveal cartridges per day as part of my business, and have yet to solve the cross-contamination problem after refilling. I do find that it helps it I let the refilled cart stand for 30 minutes or so before I use the tape, but there must be a better method.

Thanks

GeekInks

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice mikling.
The one thing is I don't have the clips like he specifies. Can I do without them?

Update: I just tried it without the clip and instead put a folded paper towel in front of the cart print head with a small vise (You make do with what you have.) It's working great. It looks so good it might as well be a oem. (This is a black cart though, color is next) :)

Good luck and happy refilling!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Hey, I did mention vise or clamp. Looks like you caught on but be careful with a vise on the head....crunch.

GeekInks

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yeah I crank very carefully to try to keep that from happening.

The colors seal well to but take a bit more quickness and finess than the black cartridges.

AlienSteve

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 3000CP Epson 1280 4800 7600
I do a drop of water or misted spray, blue tape, quickly tape a soft silicone square over it. I do -not- pull the blue tape tight, nor do I press it down. I stick it over the head so it is held up slightly out of contact with the nozzle plate, and I let the silicone square press it down.

I think the way this works is:
Instead of ink wicking out on contact with the blue tape, the water wicks into the heads. No cross-contamination. Slight dilution of ink probably cleared on first cleaning or page printed.

GeekInks

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
AlienSteve said:
I do a drop of water or misted spray, blue tape, quickly tape a soft silicone square over it. I do -not- pull the blue tape tight, nor do I press it down. I stick it over the head so it is held up slightly out of contact with the nozzle plate, and I let the silicone square press it down.

I think the way this works is:
Instead of ink wicking out on contact with the blue tape, the water wicks into the heads. No cross-contamination. Slight dilution of ink probably cleared on first cleaning or page printed.
I don't have any silicon squares. Where do I get them. And I'd be interested it a bit more detail if your willing to part with your 'secrets' since I'm note quite sure I understand.

You water, Place square down on print head. Then seal that down with blue tape? Or do you remove the silicon pad before taping? And if you don't tape the heads down what happens if someone touch the tape to the head? Does water just come out or do you get cross contamination?

Thanks

AlienSteve

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 3000CP Epson 1280 4800 7600
Drop of water, blue tape down so it's not touching the nozzle plate, silicone square taped down onto blue tape which pushes it onto nozzle plate.

The silicone squares are very soft (almost Jello consistency but tough) squares of silicone on a piece of Scotch tape. You can also use the HP cartridge clips. I leave the silicone squares or cartridge clips on.

Someone here gave a link to a site that sells the silicone squares on tape strips, I don't recall where.