Staples Buying Empty Cartridges

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Leo, I think this is something new because they used to give $3 store credit for any cartridge and then they limited it to HP and Epson.

However, I'm wondering if they will give the credit for compatibles that cost less than $3 to begin with or if it is limited to the brands they list.

Who will be the first to try?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The best deals have been a ream of recycled paper. I hold out for those.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The radio ad I heard today and the link I posted above explicitly identifies Canon (and several others) as a brand they will give store credit.

This is a new development for Staples.

As to aftermarket cartridges, it won't hurt to try. My guess is that some employees will not care about or understand the difference between OEM and aftermarket.

Another good thing is that the rewards dollars can be spent in the future, not just the day you turn in the used cartridges.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
some months ago I was in a Staples store and saw the sign that they credit returned carts, but they excluded Canon and some others. I saw that there were a large number of Canon carts - mostly bci-6 and some chipped carts - in the bin. I suggested that, since they didn't give a credit for the Canon carts, they wouldn't mind if I took them, and the manager agreed. I ended up with a dozen or so chipped canon carts and 80 or so empty bci-6 carts. After purging the bci-6 carts I refilled several and they work perfectly. A great source for Canon OEM carts for refilling! I threw away the non-OEM carts, of which there were a few dozen.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Staples must have changed the recycle program many times. About six months ago they would accept unlimited number of HP cartridges and give $3 store credit for each one they accepted. They did not accepet Canon cartridges. They had a limit of 3 coupons each customer could redeem per day. They changed the recycle program to put the credit into a reward card to accumulate. There is a waiting period of 3 months before the accumulated reward can be used. I had a small bag of used HP cartridges with me to recycle. I left the store without recycling any when I was told of the new program. Noe the new program says a customer is limited to 10 cartridges per month.

Last month I recycled some cartridges with Office Depot. They give the $3 credit and put it in a reward card too. There is too a 3 month waiting period. But after 3 months they allow all the credit to be used at once. I don't remember if they have a limit on how many one customer can recycle per month or per day. I think they are much more generous. I will bring my used HP cartridges to Office Depot. I have been a Staples customer for many years. I now go to Office Depot instead.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Just spoke with my local Staples. They will take any cartridge, including aftermarket ones. Staples will accept up to 10 cartridges per month. There is, however, a 3 month wait until the Staples Rewards check/amount is available for use, but it can be spent anytime, B&M or online, thereafter.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Well, I'm in small-town Canada. I have hundreds of empty carts that I would like to sell at one shot. Too bad Staples limits returns to 10 at a time, as I would have to mail them in and that would be a real pain. If anyone knows of a depot in Canada that would purchase empties in bulk, please let us know.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I stopped in at a Staples this morning and gave them 10 compatibles including a couple Staples brands and they took them without batting an eye. The receipt, however, does not indicate $3 on it anywhere but the clerk told me I would get the credit.

I would advise anyone to take advantage of this offer as soon as possible because if they are like OfficeMax, they will soon discover they are getting ripped off and restrict the cartridges they will take. I'm sure we'll see people selling empty compatibles on eBay with the statement that they are worth $3 at Staples but people may get burned if they buy them and Staples changes their mind.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The new policy on taking all carts, including compatables, must be the result of poor business as a result of the financial meltdown. Anything to get customers into the store in hopes that they will by their products. Sorry I threw away the compatable carts I took out of the Staples bin!