Spot reading with X rite/Calibrite i1Studio

Tony4597

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor SC P800
Shortly I will need to measure the colour of some materials to enable a close match in print. I believe that the ColorMunki software used to include an app ColorPicker(?) which enabled you to do this. X Rite no longer includes this facility in the i1Studio/CCStudio software instead I believe pointing you to other expensive applications.

I believe that this can be done in ArgyllCMS but was wondering if any other applications available (I usually try to avoid CLI driven software if I can) :)

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Photo Colorpicker is part of the original Colormunki Photo application.
A very nice feature.
Seems to be available for download here:
https://www.xrite.com/service-support/downloads/c/colormunki-photo-124

I still have this software on my computer for the Colorpicker although I use i1Studio for printer profiling.

The latter works with the original Colormunki device, but I don't think the old software works with the i1Studio hardware.

Last edited:

Tony4597

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor SC P800
Thanks for that. Have tried the Colormunki software without success.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Thanks for that. Have tried the Colormunki software without success.
What's wrong ?
There have been issues with the background xrite service.

Tony4597

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor SC P800
What's wrong ?
There have been issues with the background xrite service.
From memory the problem is that the Colormunki software recognises that there is a newer addition of the X-Rite software and does not complete instal i.e. under Windows 10.

If they are both running on your system then it may be that the Colormunki software should be installed first then the iStudio or CCStudio should follow as it may leave the old version intact?

Tony4597

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor SC P800
Just a quick update for anyone who may find themselves in a similar position:

I thought I would give the Colormunki app a try so I first uninstalled the existing X-rite software rebooted and installed the Colormunki Photo app.

All modules seemed to be in working order with the exception of the Photo Color Picker! When clicked on the button a dialogue opens with the words:
Activation Status: Trial mode 0 days remaining
Device Status: Disconnected.............
Of the 3 buttons Register, Activate, Continue trial only Register is highlighted. Clicking on that button takes you to a web page:

404 - File or directory not found.​

Apart from that, the application did not recognise my i1Studio as being connected! I decided not worth pursuing as the only item I was interested in was the Color Picker

FWIW, my opinion is that X-Rite removed Color Picker in later software as they were probably licensing it from Pantone?

Tony4597

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor SC P800
Final update (I think!). I decided to remove the X-Rite software completely from my system as I could not manage to get Argyll working properly - probably due to me not RTFM.

Installed ArgyllCMS v2.3.1, initially unable to get it to recognise the i1Studio device. With a lot of messing about and head scratching trying to load the driver without success I found the answer was to disable signed-driver verification on windows 10, again should have RTFM! :he

Anyway, I can now do a spotread of any colour sample I require. I will be reading the manual this time to discover the setting variables. :weee

I will probably not bother with the i1Studio software from now on as the ArgyllCMS offers so much more flexibility - just have to get my head around using CLI again. :caf

Last edited: