Spongeless vs Sponge what is the advatage and disadvantages?

yazyazoo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I see many kits for different refill types. Spongeless vs Sponge. What is the difference?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I did a quick guide to the topic here:
http://www.continuousink.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3749

.. but just to add to that.. Since writing the thread I've discovered a few additional nuggets of info..

1. The primary reason for the push to spongeless design has been the fact that Epson hold a very broad patent on something called "sponge in a box". Recently Epson have been using this patent along with others to attack aftermarket cartridge suppliers so obviously they are keen to move to something that is not covered by a patent.

2. Sponge cartridges will, if used normally (ie: not as part of a CIS), dry out and eventually cause clogging issues or slowing of ink flow.. This is caused by the air replacing the ink in the cartridge and drying out the sponge.. Obviously spongeless carts don't suffer this issue.

3. Sponge cartridges also seem to promote algae growth and whilst spongeless carts will also display algae growth as well, they are generally a lot easier to flush out.

4. One of the problems with spongeless cartridges when used in CIS kits is that they provide very little of the same buffer affect compared to sponge versions. As a result it's vital to pinch or clip the tubing of any CIS unit before either the printer or the reservoirs are moved as the change in pressure can cause a serious mess by forcing ink out of the printhead.

5. There may be some capacity benefits to a spongeless cartridge (ie: remove sponge means more space for ink) but this isn't necessarily the case as the cartridge has to be designed to dampen ink flow and may use up more space than the sponge did.

Of course if you're just using cartridge as one use then throw away it really doesn't make a huge difference.. and as for CIS kits, well they tend to have a shelf life of around 18 months with sponged cartridges and can easily be flushed or replaced... Likewise refilling cartridges doesn't seem to be affected if spongeless or not if you follow the excellent advice given on this site.

Hope that helps.. :)

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
This forum has plenty of in-depth information about spongeless cartridges. Use the search function.

Unless the printer is designed for spongeless cartridges, you should avoid them.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I may be wrong. When spongeless ink cartridge is out of ink it is completely out of ink. There is no sponge to hold back a few drops. This may be a problem for thermo print head. It may be cooked immediately when the cartridge is out of ink. If this is true you should never use spongeless cartridges on Canon printers.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Yes, many do--including me. See numerous posts on this forum regarding hobbicolors. I don't have a MP780
but I do have the ip4000 the MP 780's printer engine is based on. I do have a MP730 and also got a 4 color hobbicolor kit for it.

Flat out easy to refill hobbicolors blanks--their screw seal ink inlet hole is great for the novice user. That, the fact hobbicolor ink is fairly cheap in small quanities, plus the excellent reputed very close to Canon OEM color balance all makes hobbicolors an excellent option to consider.

The other highly regarded canon inks on these forums seem to be MIS and formulalabs. But rather than believing me, I would prefer you just read various user comments. No one on these forums demands you do as they do.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Honestly I don't see how a link to refill kit adds anything to a debate about spongeless vs sponge-based cartridges. However, there are also other highly regarded US companies that have been discussed on these forums and one of them is Colorbat. Colorbat is particularly noted for his honesty and straightforward dealings.

Back to the topic now, when Colorbat encountered issues with spongeless cartridges he issued a note on his website and tackled the problem by offering ink with a higher viscocity.

hpnetserver's point is also of particular interest and adds another reason why spongeless cartridges are best avoided.