Spam is increasing..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Oh and while I think about it... what are we going to do about the guy with all the non-printer related spam links in his sig?

I mean c'mon... Chickens? Gardening? That's like outside isn't it? *shudder*... ;) :D

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Hmmm... what does this "ban" link do next to websnail's username? Guess there is only one way to find out.... ;)

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
websnail said:
Oh and while I think about it... what are we going to do about the guy with all the non-printer related spam links in his sig?

I mean c'mon... Chickens? Gardening? That's like outside isn't it? *shudder*... ;) :D
Funny!:lol::lol::lol:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Ya... laugh all you want guys, but I was interviewed by Newsweekand was on the inside cover of USAToday (pic of me and my girls)! :p

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
nifty-stuff.com said:
Hmmm... what does this "ban" link do next to websnail's username? Guess there is only one way to find out.... ;)
*sudden increase in productivity and less procrastination*..

Wow... perhaps you should do that more often.. ;)

... as for the chooks... well the things people will do for their 15 minutes of fame.. :rolleyes:. Congrats though.. :)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
More spam. As the economy worsens there is usually a correlation to SPAM activity. We saw an example of this today and removed it. I'm working with the other moderators so we can get even faster notification of when this type of stuff happens.

Thanks to those that do such a great job hitting the "REPORT" button which is critical in us reacting to these situations quickly.

P

ptb

just a quick question..what excactly is regarded "spam" on this forum?
i read some stuff about adult pictures (which is obviously spam on a inkjet printer forum :D) but what about printer related links in a signature?
i'm new on this forum, so i just wanna know when i have to report something and what i can put in my signature myself?
thx

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
It really is a judgment call between the moderators. Basically, it is cases where people come here and participate only to get link, product, website exposure vs. being here to participate in the community.

A clear example of spam is someone joining the forum and the vast majority of their posts are: "Hey, look at this website: LINK!"

Some try to be more sneaky and pretend to "participate" by asking questions or offering suggestions... many of which point to their website.

Links in signatures to products and services are fine as long as they aren't "over the top" (I know, this is a subjective phrase... but it really will be a case by case basis) and as long as the posts that are tied to the signatures aren't junk posts just for the purpose of getting the signature posted.

I'm not sure if that helps, but while there are some obvious black / white examples, there is also a bit of gray area. Fortunately our community is fantastic at weeding out spammers vs. legit participants.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
nifty-stuff.com

Administrator Some try to be more sneaky and pretend to "participate" by asking questions or offering suggestions... many of which point to their website
Bloody marvelous, you do a good job at it too.. :cool: