Source of cli-8 empty cartridges

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Go to your nearest stores (Officeworks in Australia) that have recycle bins for empty cartridges and scavenge thru the bin don't worry about pride, think of the saving. The empty cartridges that I got were a bit on the dry side so I used a modified German method by drilling the hole half way up the face and using a modified syringe with a 50mm needle adapted onto a garden hose with heatshrink tubing (internal glue type), then hose out the residual ink (almost like reverse liposuction) when finished run a couple of syringes of distilled water through the sponge, then with a small air compressor use the drilled hole to blow out any remaining water from the sponge. With a 50mm needle the tank port can be reached to refill with ink. This method is best done outside to keep sweet with the Cook.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Are you saying that they are free?I asumed that the stores were selling them to refilling companies.... or refilling them to sell at that store?

Anyone know US stores with free empty cartridges?

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Are you sure that is allowed?

In Canada we have recycle bins in stores like futureshop that you can drop off stuff to be recycled. I if think take anything out of the box is probably considered stealing.

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I went to a store yesterday and asked the staff if I could have a dig through the recycle bin for some carts and she even helped me picking them out until she discovered the ink factor, then said take what you want.
The recycling in Aussie consists of feeding all the carts into a thing called the Green Machine which shreds the plastic then seperates the bits out, so I am taking a shorter route in the recycling path.

The washing method I described earlier works a treat even cleaning out carts with dry filters.A hit with the REDSETTER and they are ready to go.

brendo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
sorry to hijack a thread, But I have a bunch of compatible carts that ive used and then Purged and dried. Would there be any use in trying to sell these? They have never been refilled before. I have used them. Drilled a refill hole (for the purpose of purging) purged them, let them dry for a week. Sealed them back up with original orange clip and packed them away.

So any market in selling these? Ive seen alot of oem empty carts for sale on ebay.

EDIT: forgot to mention these are hobbicolours carts from inkpower

also, Im in Australia, and im yet to see anyone selling used carts on ebay here. only the american ebay.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
brendo said:
EDIT: forgot to mention these are hobbicolours carts from inkpower
Whoa, hold the phone....Hobbicolors carts from inkpower ??? ...ya gotta explain that one.
And yes, you could sell the spent carts on eBay esp. if they're genuine Hobbicolors, drilled and tapped with nylon screws.

brendo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I should clarify, Ink power carts filled with Hobbicolours ink. Though in 99 percent sure they are just hobbicolours compatibles. Anyways, They are both manufactured in the same plant, to the same standard, and def both filled with hobbicolours ink.

I also have a bunch of compatibles that were filled with formulabs ink.

I dont think many people would want them though, as they're compatibles and have one piece sponges rather then the oem's which have 2