Some More On PETG Printing...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have done some 10 prints using the PETG with no issues, and it seems to be as stable as PLA, but with different setting.

From what I can gather, the most important thing to have right is the print speed, all my work was done at half the speed I do PLA at, I tried speeding the printer up, and the quality went out the window, so I reduced the speed back down quickly and everything went back to normal.

So, if you want to give PETG a try, then watch your print speed, I reckon that the key to good looking quality prints, remember slow is better...
Untitled-51.jpg Untitled-52.jpg click to enlarge...

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Great reminder about being patient... especially for me! ;)

Also, are you noticing clear advantages to PETG vs. PLA? Stronger or more heat resistant to the point where it works in a situation where PLA clearly failed?

That's a great looking print, but not one that would need PETG, right? I mean, it's not taking a lot of force or heat, right?

BTW, that's the same hygrometer I have. Are you finding it to be pretty accurate?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Also, are you noticing clear advantages to PETG vs. PLA? Stronger or more heat resistant to the point where it works in a situation where PLA clearly failed?
I haven’t seen any advantages between PLA and PETG, and PLA hasn’t fail on any of my projects yet, so I can't say one way or the other, I only bought the roll of PETG to see how easy it was to use, it may yet prove itself better over PLA.
That's a great looking print, but not one that would need PETG, right? I mean, it's not taking a lot of force or heat, right?
Again, I only used the PETG on the Hygrometer case to see how well it preformed over the PLA, I didn’t use any support type for the inside top of the box and the PETG coped very well with the overhanging bits, plus the top was nice and level. (No bow in it)
BTW, that's the same hygrometer I have. Are you finding it to be pretty accurate?
As you can see these very Cheap Hygrometers are within 1% of each other for accuracy, I checked them again a higher quality digital one and an older analogue one, in fact I'm very happy with them, I bought 5 altogether...

Untitled-61.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I first ran a piece of PETG in the hot-end by hand at 198 c and it passed through it no problem, but later it clogged up the whole thing when running a print, so I took @ninj’s advice and upped the hot end temperature to 225 and a bed temperature of 55 and lowered the print speed by 50%. (Success)

My normal Print speed is 50 mm/s on PLA and ABS, I once ran my hot-end at 260 c and the PTFE tube started to buckle and collapse with the heat and the hot-end eventually fouled up...

P.S. If it weren’t for the help I get from you guys with my 3D adventures, I reckon I’d have given up long ago... :hugs

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I bought a couple of new nozzles to try out on one of my spare hot-ends, will they work or not, :hu they don’t have any PTFE tubing in them, maybe ideal for this kind of filament..
Capture4.PNG Capture5.PNG click to enlarge.