Some aftermarket Epson Artisan chips are mislabelled.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I discovered that some chips for the Epson Artisan 700-800 series are mislabelled. The indication on the outside is that they are version 6.0. In actual fact they are something beyond 6.0 but before 6.12

True V6.0 chips will intermingle with the OEM chips so that one cartridge can be changed out at a time. They can also be reset with a manual re-setter. With the introduction of new firmware in the Artisan 1430 and 730 and 837, Epson reprogrammed the firmware so that the V6.0 chips cannot be mixed with the OEM ones and will be unstable with the printer. This will kick off cartridge recognition issues. The interesting thing is that the early production of these same machines had worked perfectly well with the V6.0. thus the changes were made with intent to create havoc.

The version that works well with the latest firmware by Epson on the 1430 and 730 and 837 is V6.12. However, these will not intermingle with the original cartridges so all cartridges must be changed out when the refillable cartridges are used. Finally, the manual resetters will not work on the V6.12 chips.

There exists production of chips labelled as V6.0 but are really one stage beyond the V6.0 but not 6.12. These V6.0 chips cannot be reset with a manual re-setter but they intermingle with the OEM chips and allow changing to refillables one at a time.

With these chip things, you never know what the programming inside is. Epson is continually making changes to their firmware and drivers and the aftermarket is as well and the changes are not always properly labelled nor documented, announced etc. The only time that we know when a change has come about is when something doesn't work when it previously worked. Unfortunately that means a user has an unpleasant surprise.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I guess this was on the cards, as 3rd party refilling eats into their revenue they will simply use these sort of tactics to put us off. As you and I have already found that the Aussie carts for the Artisan 730 machines were chipped differently from the USA carts. Epson is now spending adveritising dollars in Australia telling folks that NON Epson inks are EVIL and will cause all sorts of problems........next step is to create those problems themselves..........it WILL bite them on the backside sooner or later!!

Added : I called my local Printer supplier just today and 3880 OEM cart prices have FALLEN, not put on special, they are down from regular A$99 per cart to A$89 per cart........golly gosh! at that price I will really stock up......(NOT)

Andrew