Soaking pigment ink cartridge

BostonFern

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have an old and dry canon PGI-220bk cartridge that had pigmented ink. Now I want to refill it with dye ink.

I was advised to purge this cartridge first. The information I dug up about purging is to flush slow running tap water into the cartridge. The trouble is that the hole I drilled is small and water doesn't flow into the hole easily. So I've been soaking the cartridge. It has been a day, and black ink is still seeping out of the cartridge. Is this a good method to purge this cartridge?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
BostonFern said:
I have an old and dry canon PGI-220bk cartridge that had pigmented ink. Now I want to refill it with dye ink.

I was advised to purge this cartridge first. The information I dug up about purging is to flush slow running tap water into the cartridge. The trouble is that the hole I drilled is small and water doesn't flow into the hole easily. So I've been soaking the cartridge. It has been a day, and black ink is still seeping out of the cartridge. Is this a good method to purge this cartridge?
The soaking method is a good way to clean out your cartridge but its darn slow way.

The flushing method you read about is by far the quickest way,
but you should let the water dribble onto the cartridge outlet and not the refill hole..:)