So Tempting - Bambu Lab X1 3D Printer

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I’m from the 20th Century and find most of these YouTube videos do my head in, can no one follow written instruction any more, it’s like everyone has gone back to kindergarten.. That’s all Folks..

P.S. maybe it’s time I got out of this one…:old

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I grew up watching Warner and Hanna Barbera cartoons..:D

There's a guy with excellent 3D design skills that has uploaded on thingiverse great models for several cartoon characters. Real fun to print and assemble. Unlike many lousy models on thingiverse, his designs always print and fit perfectly.
I did already a few of them ( for my grand nephews first, but mainly for myself right now..:rolleyes:).
Currently working on Yosemite Sam. Yesterday I printed The Hat. :p
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5397434

Last edited:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
@Nifty Just want to say that if you are seriously considering that printer it would be worth having the patience to watch the first video as there are a few things you may wnat to consider before pulling the trigger ;)

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
@Artur5 No offence taken, each to their own, however for me it has been the easiest OS to use especially when you add any peripherals. As an example I have two different R/C model transmitters that can be programmed from a computer, either Win or Mac. With Mac you plug them in and they work, no faffing about with drivers. I see inummerable people with Win systems that cannot get drivers to work with the radios unless they are coders.

I'm also a lazy guy as far as backups goes and rarely ever took backups on Win. With Mac you plug in an external drive and forget about it, backups every hour, day, week and month.

The there's the clever marketing within Windoze and their approved OEM builders of machines. Every new OS version pretty much writes off your old hardware. I replaced my old iMac with a new one after 11 years and around 4 OS versions, the old one is still zippy enough to do everyday tasks.

I started off with MS Dos and a blank screen on an Amstrad 1640 and worked with Windows until 2010, also used PCLinux on an older machine, then I decided to give Mac a try and never went back to Windoze.

Is one better than the other? Probably not but it's what feels easiest and more intuitive to use that matters to me. Same as 3D Slicers for instance, Cura does not feel friendly to me but S3D and Prusa Sliver are easier for me to use and understand.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
but S3D and Prusa Sliver are easier for me to use and understand.
I’m in much the same yard with 3D slicers, I’m stuck with CURA, only because it works on my 3 printers, I’d love Simply 3D but it’s not worth the cost because I reckon I’d have to much difficulty trying to get the simplest things to work, for me and then the printers, I’m more plug and play guy..

The Simply 3D App I reckon have to many parameters to fiddle with, which would get me lost completely.. I could be wrong dough, because Photoshop was as easy as pie to learn..:caf

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Redbrickman, I concur with you on the slicers. I'm running Prusa Slicer since the first day I got a 3D printer and never looked back. Cura it's also installed in my computer, but I never bothered to learn it.
My Word and Excel versions are from 2002 and they work fine on Windows 10, in spite of Microsoft claim that you need a version from 2010 or newer. I'm so used to those old versions that I refuse absolutely to upgrade. I'd be lost with totally new menus, features, screen styles and so on.

Last edited:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Yes and they now screw you with yearly subscriotions to MS Office 365 which my wife has to use for her job on her Win 10 machine. Bonus is that it covers me too so I have the Ms Office apps on my Mac but only use Word and Excel. I still need to use Open Office version of Excel for one import I do to a website as Ms Excel puts loads of junk into the import and messes up the website database.

@The Hat - time to try the Prusa Slicer ;)