So now that the IP4700's are here.... I'm guessing the 4600 is history

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Would it be foolish of me to run around buying up a few IP4600's in hopes a resetter for both waste ink/ cartridges is available?
I'm wondering if when the 4800 comes out it will be a new set of chips, so
4600 new chip,4700,
4800 new chips

It would be nice to see how often they intend on changing chips out.

All I know is the countdown is now on, the 4600's have been pulled off Staples website here in Canada, so I'm expecting the 39.99 blowout deal to happen again at some point with the 4600's. (if it hits this I'm buying 10 dammit)

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Thankfully the ip4700 is just a mild facelift to address the speed and quietness issue that the ip4600 lost compared to the ip4500. If we see another type of cartridge developed then your purchase of the ip4600 will have been wise, I have a spare printhead for my ip4600 just for that reason. Incase they decide to make the next generation worse.

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I ended up pulling the trigger on an IP4600 last night for 69.99 CAD, I have refillable carts with auto reset chips coming,
the only worry I have is the stupid waste ink absorber message.

(just for giggles, I just called an authorized canon tech and said how much to clear the message and NOT change the pads out)

The girl told me the tech told her the ONLY way to clear the error message is to change the PADS out???
(could this be true??)

As an aside the Staples I was in did not have many Ip4600's left, so I'm guessing this is going to go exactly the way the ip4500's went.

I'm guessing it's only really going to be critical when the Ip4700's are phased out, I'm betting money that the ip4800 is going to be new chips.

iP4XXX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610, Canon iP4200
Newegg.com(US). cleared their iP4600's out a few weeks ago at $39.99USD. Now they have the recertified ones at $59.99. The new iP4700 is at $79.99USD.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
If you want your printer to last longer disable ink monitoring, since when you disable ink monitoring it goes through far less "cleaning" cycles which means you'll fill up the waste ink pad slower. And also you'll notice it starts printing much faster, instead of going through an ink wasting cleaning cycle every time you turn it on and it seems every few pages or so of continuous printing.

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Quick question, do you know if the waste ink absorber is counted by actual ink or is it using an internal counter which assumes xx amount of ink is being sent to the pads?

If it's actual ink, I'm thinking maybe there can be a mod to vent the ink outside the printer. (like the epson r200,220 etc)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
nanosec said:
Quick question, do you know if the waste ink absorber is counted by actual ink or is it using an internal counter which assumes xx amount of ink is being sent to the pads?

If it's actual ink, I'm thinking maybe there can be a mod to vent the ink outside the printer. (like the epson r200,220 etc)
Nope... it's all done with an algorithm, there are no sensors in the waste pad... (same as the epsons)