So Many Digital Photos... How Do You Organize Them?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I tried Picasa several years ago, and was totally underwhelmed ... but it has no doubt improved greatly since then. IIRC, I didn't really evaluate its ability to organize photos.

When I was dealing with a lot less shutter activations per month, I found the Canon software EOS Utility for uploads and DPP (Digital Photo Pro) for edits to be satisfactory. Actually I was quite impressed with both, and completely underwhelmed with ZoomBrowserEx. Again, I didn't evaluate ZbEx for organizational capabilities. Perhaps I should have, in retrospect.

YMMV, obviously.

I came across a very favorable upgrade from an older copy of PS-Elements ... to the full CS4 Photoshop about 18 months ago, and "bit the bullet" and got CS4 (ouch $$$). The learning curve has been brutal, but there are exceptional resources to learn from.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The GPS data in the EXIF of your images is a double edged sword. It's great for personal use in certain situations but it also gives a potential criminal the location of your valuables or family. Criminals have used the EXIF coordinates to commit crimes. A few criminals have been arrested because of the EXIF data left in their crime-related photos as well.

If you publish a picture, strip the EXIF data, at least the coordinates. If it's pictures of your criminal activity, by all means disregard this post.

filmguy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Adobe Lightroom is very good but for FREE is Picasa... check the "timeline view"... helps jog the memory.