So if refilled my Ip5200 inks....

thef1re

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks to Hobbicolor inks. Very good guys.

Anyway so ive refilled all my carts now and ive done:
1 Cleaning
1 Print Head Alignment.

I was wondering, since i am using refilled ink, i dont want to ruin my Print Head. So what should i do to not let clogs happen and to keep everything flowing?

What exactly is Print Head stuffup and why does it happen? (and how to prevent it?)

Anything eles i should know that should be done after refilling ink/using refilled ink?

cheers!

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The only advice I have is to print at least once a week. I try to avoid any deep cleaning cycles. But once a clog starts it takes time to get it dissolved away. Had a slight clog starting---so I printed a 40 page PDF manual--something I would never have never done so casually--before getting a Canon printer---but now that the ink is so cheap with refilling--its no problem. By the time that manual was printed, my printhead was in great shape.

I also note some advocate using a non-pigmented ink in the large black text cartridge---even though the Canon and hobbicolors inks are pigmented for the large text black---which I believe is the CLI-5 in ip5200 parlance.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Osage covered it all... print regularly which is really Inkjet 101.

If you have problems please let me know because I'd be interested to see what you did leading up to any... For all that, don't expect any.. it seems earlier reports of grief were most likely due to user error.

thef1re

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ive printed around 3 A4 photos on photo paper (canon photo paper pro). Comes out perfect (not sure about how the color compraed to genuines).
But i did notice small slight small white stripes on the black areas. not very noticable but if u look closely u can see it.

I thought i refilled it perfect, but this morning (refilled last night) checked printer. seems to bit black ink on teh inside (when looking using a torch). As for the print head, is it ok if theres a small puddle of ink where the ink cart exit hole rests on the print head? like on the print head theres a small white circle where the ink cart's exit hole touches when fitted in the printer. when i take the ink out theres a small puddle on teh circle (not flowing off).

Also how do i know when Clogs start occuring? Is it ideal to clean up manually inside using cottom buds or best to let to printer do cleaning cycles?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
thef1re said:
Ive printed around 3 A4 photos on photo paper (canon photo paper pro). Comes out perfect (not sure about how the color compraed to genuines).
But i did notice small slight small white stripes on the black areas. not very noticable but if u look closely u can see it.
You might want to check you have the printhead aligned and that your nozzle check is clean before you jump to any conclusions.

I thought i refilled it perfect, but this morning (refilled last night) checked printer. seems to bit black ink on teh inside (when looking using a torch). As for the print head, is it ok if theres a small puddle of ink where the ink cart exit hole rests on the print head? like on the print head theres a small white circle where the ink cart's exit hole touches when fitted in the printer. when i take the ink out theres a small puddle on teh circle (not flowing off).
Depends what you mean by a "puddle".. any chance of a picture to see?

All in all the things to look out for are going to be that you'd closed and sealed the hole you made to refill the cartridge (plenty of info in the forum on how to do that) and that the printer is sitting properly on the little rubber ink seal around the port.

Also how do i know when Clogs start occuring? Is it ideal to clean up manually inside using cottom buds or best to let to printer do cleaning cycles?
If in doubt, do a nozzle check printout and see if there's any problems indicated there..

I'll let the experts in this sort of thing give you the mode detailed advice but overall so long as you haven't altered the cartridge massively (so that bits jut out and/or push the cartridge out of alignment) or left it with a leak you shouldn't be having any more problems than you would with a normal cartridge.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
As Websnail said, print regularly is the best practice to keep the printer in top shape. I have let my ip8500 idle in recent months becaue I use more now a mp780. About two weeks ago I hooked up the 8500 and a nozzle test right after powering up. It was good. The Hobbicolors ink has not let me down once. The last print before that was about a month ago. This is probably not a good thing to do. The 780 is getting all the daily text print job now. I estimate I print around 50 - 100 pages per day. Not a whole lot but again HC ink has been very dependable so far. I guess you are indeed a newbie in inkjet refilling. You will be nervous to begin with. That's normal. Watch out for signs of problems especially quality of your prints. Don't ignore anything suspicious. Nozzle check is the best tool for checking the condition of your printhead. Keep a perfect nozzle check print on file for future reference. You can always compare it against anyone you don't feel comfortable with. You can quickly get an idea if your printhead has gone wrong or not. I put a few photos on file for this purpose too.