So I just Purged a cart. Pulled it apart. Now I have some questions!

brendo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hello fellow Ink jet enthusiasts

I just got done Purging a cart, and my curiosity got the better of me, So i decided to pull one apart so see what it was like inside.

Firstly, I apologize for the crummy pics. And yes, im aware the date is wrong.

Ok first things first. After i purged the cart and let it dry, I cut the top off the cart. The sponge was fairly dry, but still a little damp, despite sitting out to dry or 3 days. The sponge just seems to be a very very dense foam material. The actual ink outlet thingy was alot different. You couldn't really crush it between your fingers it was so hard and dense. To me it seems like some sort of dense cotton type material.

The actual ink port material just sits in the port with the sponge directly ontop of it. Nothing special about it really.

my.php

Now my questions relate to the air maze system ontop of the cart.

my.php

Now ontop of the cart. Whats the deal with the massive hole that goes into the sponge? (not the air inlet one, the other one).. What is it for? or is it somehow sealed by tthe label which i took off?

ok that will do for now. Ill add more detail later if need be. I also plan to conduct an experiment to see just how much ink can be held in the sponge.

These are Ink power Compatibles btw (rebranded hobbicolours)

EDIT: Just condcuted a small experiment to see just how much ink the sponge can hold exactly. To my surprise it held a full 8ml of ink! anymore then 8mls and the sponge starts leaking. So it could be said that the sponge in these particular compatibles hold around 6-7 mls of ink!... For most people. This means they're thorwing away 7 mls of ink, which is worrying

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
You might want to look at this thread, including the following posts - it has lots of photos of dissected carts and the associated discussion.