Smelly paper

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Mikling said:
Does this mean this issue has been put to "REST"?
Well if we accept that the problem is the formaldehyde creating the smell then the issue is at rest. I will be printing more shots today so we will see how many shots stink. It seems strange that only 3 out of the 5 shots I've printed so far smell like Stratman:)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think it is strange that 2 boxes of the same paper previously used had no smell. Could the manufacturer have changed something in the composition of the paper?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
rodbam said:
- clip -Fotofreek I might take a shot of a rose & see if that smells better:)
Good plan - just be careful to avoid pix of brown flowers or plants. I promised myself I would not make references to "brown" and the smell!

jjbruja

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R300, Photo 1400, 730
fotofreek said:
Rod - pictures of garlic or the inside of shoes???? Have your cats given up using the litter box in favor of the top of the printer????
I vote for the litter box.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
rodbam said:
Mikling said:
Does this mean this issue has been put to "REST"?
Well if we accept that the problem is the formaldehyde creating the smell then the issue is at rest. I will be printing more shots today so we will see how many shots stink. It seems strange that only 3 out of the 5 shots I've printed so far smell like Stratman:)
I would be surprised if the inks or paper had formaldehyde as a stabilizer or preservative. Formaldehyde has, in the past, been used in carpets, permanent pressed cotton clothing, insulation, and many other products. Even in very small quantities, as in 'outgassing" from carpets, it has been known to cause dermatitis and/or allergies. It is a very toxic and is a known carcinogen. To my knowledge, it is no longer used in household products and is carefully regulated in industrial uses. With this as background, most of us who have taken biology or anatomy classes in which animal or human tisue is preserved for demonstration or disection have managed to survive without obvious ill effects.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm very slack & still haven't printed out more shots to see what the pattern is but I think I may be on to something. When I open the box of papers after the box has been closed for about 24 hours the smell is there but when I lift the top paper it's very hard to smell anything. I've now took the the top paper out & swapped the lids from another used box & now the smell in in the used box & not my new box. It does seem the smell was being transferred from the lid to the top sheet of paper & that's why I would get a very smelly print & the nest print without any small, well that's the theory at the moment. I will definitely print out today which will confirm my theory or send me back to square one.
It doesn't seem to be the ink because my test prints on cheaper Kodak papers have no smell but I can't explain why the prints would smell worse after printing plus you wouldn't think a smell being transferred from the top of the box would react when ink is applied to the paper. Anyhow todays printing might solve the issue a.

I've just done a few prints & the smell seems to be in the lid. I first printed from the new box with an old lid on it & there was no smell. I then went into the old box with the new lid on it & a sheet of the new paper I put in there a few days ago & it stinks, more so after being wet with the ink.
It seems very strange that a transfer of smell from the lid onto the top sheet of paper would be so pronounced once its been wet with ink. The smell of the printed paper is 10 times worse than the smell in the lid held close to the nose.
Anyhow now I know I can print away without a gas mask or my missus telling me off for farting:)

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Have you tried soaking a piece of the smelly paper and a piece of the lid (or spray it a little) in water? That might bring out the smell even more and confirm whether it's the paper, the box, the ink, or a microscopic skunk loose in your office.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Down here we test a lot things by peeing on it so I will try that:)

lbrain

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I think it's difficult to get good pics of flowers, like mentioned. The colors can be so off! It's so important to have good paper, a good printer and a good photo with a high quality! I often buy flowers by http://www.serenataflowers.com and I also take pictures of them and print them out for my wall to have a longer memory from them. So all these things are important to me!

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just a little update. I still don't know if it was the box or the papers but one thing is for sure this batch of papers faded badly within one month. I've now had the same photo printed & hanging for over a month & exposed to the air on two other different papers & there's no sign of fading. The trouble is I've used the whole box of paper now so I can't return it & they aren't fading (yet) behind glass.
If I smell that smell again the paper will go straight back a.