Slow refill of Pixma MP 240 PG-210 ink

worries

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello,

I am no expert, and my new MP 240's cartridge is taking forever to fill. One drop takes about 10 minutes to be absorbed by the sponge. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? I use to refill the entire ip1500 cartridge in 5 minutes, and here each drop is taking that long.

I am using this method here.

http://www.refillinstructions.com/Canon/C31.htm

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
This method should not take more an a few seconds...are you using a syringe? If so, just what is taking so long???

worries

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well, the cartridge warning says 'low ink levels' rather than empty cartridge. Could that be why? Would it be slow if the cartridge is not completely empty.

I can still print pages, there is enough ink so I might have to wait until it empties out completely. It's just, I never thought that a sponge would take 10 mins to drink one drop of ink.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
worries said:
Hello,

Recently, my canon pixma ip1500 died, the ink cartridge was so easy to refill, i would just drop ink on the visible sponge.

I am no expert, and my new MP 240's cartridge is taking forever to fill. One drop takes about 10 minutes to be absorbed by the sponge. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? I use to refill the entire ip1500 cartridge in 5 minutes, and here each drop is taking that long.

I am using this method here.

http://www.refillinstructions.com/Canon/C31.htm
I'm confused, the instructions you linked show injection through the top and your description sounds like you are using the drop-by-drop method on the bottom ??
Please clarify.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
jflan,

I think worries is using the dripping method, so this will take a very long time to achieve if not impossible. He should pierce the needle up to the bottom of the cartridge, withdraw a few mm away from the bottom and them refill slowly until the cartridge is full.

worries

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am using that method from the site. I pierced the hole to make it bigger , then pushed the syringe only as far as the sponge surface. If i put a little ink, the hole fills up to the top of the cartidge onto the cap and I have to wait till it goes down.

Pharmacist, what do you mean by piercing the needlign to the bottom of the cartridge? You mean i could pierce through the sponge to the bottom of the cartridge?

worries

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
oki well i was using whatever was left of my ink to print, and randomly, the pages started coming out blank. My cartridge is only a month old. So I thought may be it had run out of ink but it is still displaying the 'low ink level' warning. Then i filled using what pharmacist suggested, and tried to print. It is still printing blank.

I ran a nozzle check, cleaned the print head, still nothing. My printer is new and so is my cartridge. What could be wrong?

Also, I am unable to reset the ink levels. I tried to hold down the 'send page' button but doesn't work.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Worries,

you should pierce the needle all through the sponge until you feel resistance (reaching the bottom). But you must not push through the ink filter, which sits on the bottom of the sponge, otherwise your cartridge will be unusable and will leak. The idea of refilling from the bottom is to push away the air upwards and replace it with ink. If you refill from above the air underneath it can not escape and then the cartridge will print "air" instead of ink...... Do you understand the process ?

Ink level can only be reset if the printer is telling you that the cartridge is empty.