*sigh*... one fried MP750...

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Well this is a complete ar*e of a day...

My MP750 has sat for a while waiting for me to sort out a new CIS kit for it so I figured with all my parts now arrived and prepped that it was time. I turned the thing on to move the carriage assembly to the middle position and it started screaming some error ## 3??... which I wasn't familiar with but I was distracted by the kitten trying to use me as a climbing pole and when I turned back the LED display was blank..

I figured it had turned itself off... I was wrong... it's fried itself and the error I got was probably a temperature sensor error..

What made things worse is that I had a duff printhead in the printer initially and just swapped it out with a brand new replacement I sourced from the USA via ebay.. So I only found out it was frying things when I popped out the new printhead to see if there was something blocking it all up... The words.. "Yow.. **** that's hot!" were my first reaction...

So, it looks like I have an MP750 with a set of useless printheads and a spare CIS that would have worked a treat just sitting here... What a complete a*se.. :(

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
What a bummer

But I have to wonder if the printhead had an internal short in it---hence the rapid heat build up--and with luck, it may just be a blown fuse.
But sound like time to check Canon tech support and get the error code.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Websnail, sorry for the sad news. Was the print head really that hot when you took it out? Perhaps you got a bad one from ebay? Now your 750 may be damaged as well, if the print head was indeed so hot. I would not consider to plug in another one to risk burning it out again. Sorry, but I really never think CIS a good idea for any printer especially not for Canon.

You know I could buy a dozen set of Hobbicolors virgin cartridges together with a set of 8 ounce bottles of ink for about the same prices of a CIS. It would probably take same amount of time to fill ink to the dozen set of cartridges as to set up the CIS. With a dozen set of Hobbicolors cartridges all filled ready to use I would be essentially not different from having a CIS on my printer. I would not have all those ink tubings getting in the way when I needed to move my printer. I would not need to troubleshoot when a CIS broke down. I would have so many cartridges that would last me years. I would fill ink to all all of them once in a long while. I would really think this is a better CIS strategy.

Does this make any sense at all? It may be just my opinion. But seriously if I have the budget for a CIS I will buy a dozen set of virgin carts from Hobbicolors and some large bottles of ink. I may be biased in favor of Hobbicolors cartrifges because I know they are completely reliable for me.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Osage said:
What a bummer

But I have to wonder if the printhead had an internal short in it---hence the rapid heat build up--and with luck, it may just be a blown fuse.
But sound like time to check Canon tech support and get the error code.
As it goes the printhead overheated after I'd had the error code and I'd thought it had shut down... Trying the power didn't work so I assumed (yep, ass out of u and me is alive and well) that the problem was the older printhead that I still had in there that hadn't been working properly. So with the LED showing no joy I replaced the printhead with a brand spanking new one...

Again the power didn't work so I tried variations on the Resume -> on/off and Cancel -> on/off.. tried holding down the power button.. all with no joy..

It was then, as I removed the cartridges and printhead that I discovered that the printhead was very hot..

Now as to the whole CIS thing.. that wasn't installed.. I'd prepped it all up and was getting ready to put it in but never got the chance.. so whilst I know what you mean about cheap cartridges, etc.. CIS's are my thing and this was as much a test bed to prove that I had a winning formula at last after a lot of careful thought.

So ultimately it's an experiment that went wrong at an unexpected juncture but it went wrong none the less.. such is life.. I've had a few suggestions re: warranty replacement, etc.. for which I can say a hearty thanks.. not sure if I'll go that route as it has had some modifications that a tech might raise an eyebrow to ;)

Nobody died so I guess I'll just accept this as one of lifes little lessons.. the kitten is currently asleep in a box of manuals of all things so he's gotten a reprieve too ;)

Thanks again folks... c'est la vie..