Should you tape the German refill hole?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
A couple months ago, I refilled two Canon BCI-6 cartridges using the German method. I covered the outlet ports on the bottoms of both of them with tape and left the air vents on the top uncovered. I then covered the refill hole on one of them and left the other one uncovered. I left them sitting in an upright position on a shelf.

After two months, the ink level in the cartridge with the covered refill hole has not gone down at all but the ink level in the cartridge with the uncovered refill hole has gone down about an eighth of an inch. This means there is a slight amount of evaporation through the refill hole if you don't cover it.

Also, if you do not cover the refill hole, you run the risk of providing an air path from the refill hole to the outlet port which can result in an ink flow problem.

So in my opinion, you should seal the German refill hole with tape after each refill.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
One thing: the cartridges are normally installed into the printer where the printhead is parked away above a area with high humidity (purging pads) and the opening of the refill hole is almost pressing agains the back of the printhead cover.

One can always put a dot of hot glue on the refill hole when keeping the cartridges for a while, like I do. But when the cartridges are in my printer I never seal the refill hole and never experience any problems with evaporation.

I did not used my Canon i9950 during summer times for about 2 months (hot and dry here in Europe) and just before period I refilled the LM cartridge until full. After this period I did not see any drop in ink levels and especially looking on the LM cartridge (maybe 2 tiny extra air bubbles ?). I hope this will clear things, but you are right you have to seal the refill hole storing the cartridges outside the printer: I too do this to prevent evaporation.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just as a note... I've found that aluminium tape is about the best temporary solution to any hole sealing. It's usually available from trade DIY stores.

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I've considered taping mine, all i know is I hate handling tape with latex gloves on!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Take off the gloves. I don't use gloves when refilling with the German method. That's one of its advantages. Have you really found it necessary?

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Take off the gloves. I don't use gloves when refilling with the German method. That's one of its advantages. Have you really found it necessary?
I am messy by nature. If there's a way to get ink on my hands, I will find it!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
nanosec said:
ghwellsjr said:
I am messy by nature. If there's a way to get ink on my hands, I will find it!
Sounds awfully familiar... with any tape though, I've found that the gloves have got to come off or you just end up with latex adhered tape and holes in your gloves.