Should I start saving ?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I just watched this video the other day! They are making some really great strides in the space and coming up with really neat new inventions and products!

That printer would be handy if , one very distant day, I decide to print my own 3D lampost garden.
Prusha is a very solid brand and make great printers. Most of the big-time printers and print-farms use them because they are so reliable workhorses.

... that said, I don't print enough to justify the cost + I'm super frugal, so the Creality printers do ok for me (even though it seems I'm always tinkering / fixing something).

BTW, I really liked this video on their history. I'm very upset I didn't see it before I want to Prague for eye surgery... I would have totally done a factory visit!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Prusha is a very solid brand and make great printers. Most of the big-time printers and print-farms use them because they are so reliable workhorses.
As I said before I’m very happy with Creality printers, not that they are the best but more like they suite me, my levels of expertise is poor to average so don’t warrant a very high quality printer.

Making a cows ear into a silk purse sounds great but I’m not at a level of design that would benefit from any great upgrade to a Prusa or Voron printer, the fact that I can repair and upgrade my current printers make them ideal for me.

I want to design and print out my junk out and be happy with it, yes that’s what I said junk, and if I want a guarantee then I’ll buy a toaster, what’s the point of having a racing track when you don’t own a racing car..

The output and quality of the Creality printers are more than enough for most guys plus the affordability of these printers makes them a true winner in many a man’s pocket, I originally taught 3D printing was above my pay grade and capability, and see how wrong I was..
At the end of the day it all comes down to price and what you’re willing to pay..

Same goes for "eccentric" and "crazy".
I’m in there somewhere..

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
That is a very interesting printer from the point of view of his new levelling and toolhead ideas. Not sure the multiheater bed is a great one though, to me it's more to go wrong. The concertina heat shield is another useful idea, however if I was in the market for a printer of that price range I's prefer a fully enclosed so that it could print ABS and other filaments with a chance of containing the fumes.

I certainly would think twice before pre-ordering one given the availability and delivery of parts globally at the moment and based on the history of the MK3. I almost ordered one then saw it had a 3 mth waiting list, and in reality it would have been 6 mths before I would have got one. I had the CR10s in a week from their EU warehouse.

It all boils down to what your requirements are and what your budget is. I probably spent not too far off the price building the Voron 2.4 but it took a year! The bonus is that I know every part of the build and can easily maintain and upgrade or repair parts.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Well, if you buy a Prusa MK3s in kit instead of a 'ready to go' machine, you'll end up knowing everything about parts, maintenance and so forth. That said, it's probable that the upfront saving in money will be counter balanced by initial frustration, shattered nerves and slepless nights ( or a heavy expense in sleeping pills. ). :D

Concerning the new Prusa XL, I don't see how anybody can build a sealed enclosure of reasonable size, given that the spools are installed at the sides, thus the filament must be guided upwards by bowden tubes. It seems impossible to cover the top of the enclosure without interfering the motion of the extruder(s) along the x-y axes, because this is a corexy design.
The only solution would be a gigantic enclosure covering the whole set-up, because anything with an open top, wouldn't be very efficient keeping the temperatures required by filaments like nylon or fiber composites.

Last edited:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Agree with @Artur5 on this. Also, building a machine even if frustrating at times is the best way to understand it and ultimately brings dividends when something goes wrong or you need to do some regular maintenance.

I think the XL is aimed at making it a little bit easier to print some non PLA filaments however a fully enclosed machine will always be best when you print filaments like ABS ASA etc.