Should I keep this $30 Canon MP830

jtbassic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I wasn't even looking for a printer but I was at staples and saw a floor model Canon Pixma MP830 for $30 out the door. At the time it was a no-brainer and I bought it to replace our PC-bundled Lexmark Z515.

After getting home I started to look up reviews for it online. There were SO MANY that complained about ink-use and several that claimed their machines simply died. I'd rather not waste my money if I'm going to be spending a lot more on ink than I am currently.

I've priced compatible ink at digitgo.com for ~25 to replace all 5 tanks which is certainly reasonable. I'm not printing many (if any) photographs.

Should I keep it or stick with the old Lexmark......or go with this (http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...ion=specials&productId=221215&cmArea=SEASONAL ) Refurbished Brother MFC-240C at Staples for the same price ($30).

I really want to save money in the long term....but it would be nice to have scanning and copying which the Lexmark doesn't have.

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I just bought a spare mp830 for $150.

I've had no such issues with my mp830. CD printing works great, photos work great. Ink is reasonably priced.

The thing is, for black text, even if you were to buy OEM ink, it floats at about 3c-3.2c/page @ 5% coverage. Color tends to get used in the cleaning cycles.

The brother machine you site isn't as stellar. They claim 500p for a $24 cartridge (4.8c/page) Looks like they offer a bigger cartridge $30 for 900 pages (3.3c/page).

The canon PGI-5bk is $17 (3.2c/page) or 2 for $30 (2.8c/page) based on 525p @ 5% coverage. While the price is right, it has a higher than average ml/page ratio. HP for example can do the same job for less actual ink, but the price is about the same for the actual yield.

There might be other advantages to the MFC-240C, but I don't know the model.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Can't speak to the other printers, but I love my MP830 for its versatility and output.

I would think the floor model would still come with the manufacturers 1 year warranty.

Did they give you new ink cartridges to go with it?

One thing you can do is use the Canon Service Mode of the printer to find out how much it has been used, such as number of pages printed, how many ink tank cartridge replacements, purge counts, head replacements, and data about the waste ink counter. Instructions and explanations found in the file http://rapidshare.com/files/69569077/Canon_Service_Mode_EEPROM_Info_1.doc.

To save on money, refill the tanks yourself. Search on "Durchstich Method" or "German Method" for detail. It costs me about $1.00-1.50 US per refill for the CLI-8 ink.

Another consideration is to buy a refurbished printer from Canon. For more info see http://estore.usa.canon.com/webapp/...ategory_rn=12054&top_category=12054&pageView=. Great selection, all with new cartridges and printheads, but the warranty is only for 90 days. Thinking about another MP830 - for the price Canon wants, it's worth it just for the new cartridges and printhead and photo paper freebies.

Lastly, the MP830 can print on CD/DVD's, though a slight mod is needed if you live in the USA. You need to purchase a "Canon CD Tray, Type D" on eBay and then follow the easy instructions found at http://pixma.ulmb.com/?p=105.

If your MP830 wasn't abused and not used too much (filling up the waste ink pad), then you may well have found yourself a great bargain.

jtbassic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I don't know much about the Brother printer either but I agree it isn't on the same level as the MP830.

Maybe I should keep it. Have you tried refilling the inks on the printer yourself?

I've never done it but if it works well it would certainly save me a lot of money.

jtbassic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you too Stratman. I'm going to try and get those service mode stats now.

jtbassic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
So......I didn't receive a full set of inks with the printer...and now I can't print this EEPROM readout which tells me the stats that stratman mentioned.

Hmmmmm....maybe I'll just take the plunge and go buy the inks and stick with it.

jtbassic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
or on second thought.....the refurb is probably actually a better deal since it comes with inks. If i buy a full set of OEM inks (so that I can refill later) for this that brings my total to >$90

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
jtbassic said:
Thank you too Stratman. I'm going to try and get those service mode stats now.
Well, I'm going to wager than the Canon has the first cartridges in the printer. Floor models don't see much in the way of printing, just from time to time someone uses it to make a copy.

Worst case is it needs a printhead an ink. Printhead starts at about $50, OEM ink starts at about $70. The "best" deal on the printer was $150 on closeout, though they are now $80 on closeout from canon, plus shipping plus tax, so $105.

This is a $300 printer, the MFC-240C is a $100 printer. Though I'm looking at the specs and it doesn't seem that bad for a $100 printer. I presume it takes the high yield cartridges so for the price the cost per page is reasonable. The sheet feeder is small. There's no flash memory slots, though on mine I find I can't copy files to SD card, only read.

CISS systems might be easier to retrofit on the MFC-240C. It's hard to tell from images but it looks the head is tube fed in the first place.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
jtbassic said:
So......I didn't receive a full set of inks with the printer...and now I can't print this EEPROM readout which tells me the stats that stratman mentioned.

Hmmmmm....maybe I'll just take the plunge and go buy the inks and stick with it.
IIRC, the MP830 will not print unless all cartridges are functional, or at least deemed functional by the printer. If you are missing one or more cartridges, or one or more cartridges have been marked as "empty" by the printer (and not reset or overriden as is done for refilling purposes), then you will need to find/purchase the "missing" ones.

One thing that may be a problem is if there are missing cartridges and the printhead was open to the air for an extended period of time. Residual ink in the printhead may dry up and clog ink flow even after you put in a fresh new cartridge. The typical clean and prime the printer does when a new cartridge is inserted may clear the clog, though deeper cleanings may be necessay... or more.

A possible way to approach this would be to first replace all missing or empty cartridges, then run a Nozzle Check (found in the Maintenance tab of the Printer Properties). If the nozzle check does not look correct, consider a Cleaning and check a Nozzle Check. If Cleaning does not clear the problem, consider a Deep Cleaning. If you are still missing a color, then post in this forum for assistance about salvaging a misbehaving printhead. You don't want to continue to suck air through the printhead, since the lack of ink will cause the printhead to eventually burn out, threfore requiring a $35-50 replacement printhead.

But this is all conjecture on my part, and it is worse case scenario. I'm just thinking about potential issues for you to be on the lookout based on what you have posted in this thread.

At the very least, I would run a Nozzle Check to verify ink is flowing properly, the run a Print Head-Alignment to make sure everything's lined up properly. After that, print to your heart's content!

Most likely everything will be fine and you will be happily printing and scanning in no time at all.

jtbassic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks guys...but I've sort of come to the conclusion that this wasn't such a great deal after all. Let's say the printer works fine, i still have to pay an extra $70 to get new OEM inks (the one cartridge that was in there seems nearly empty). That puts my total over the price of a refurb which comes with all new inks + other goodies.