shmungerwos/Liam - Introduction / About Me

shmungerwos

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro100 & Dell Laser 1110
Guys. Trust me. I read a lot on Precision Color, saw a few comments about the CLI-42 Y ink, and pretty much understood the situation. NOT GOING TO REUSE the CLI-42Y cart. I'm just being the pesky guy that notices you worded something wrong, and asks the stupid question to root out any possibility of whatever option that phrase may have alluded to.

But @PeterBJ, thanks!
I always love reading origin posts, first impressions, details of tests, etc :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm just being the pesky guy that notices you worded something wrong, and asks the stupid question to root out any possibility of whatever option that phrase may have alluded to.
You are outsmarting yourself. The phrase I used is correct: "... if you are going to use Yellow refill ink -- NOT original Canon Yellow ink..." Even though there is no bulk OEM Canon ink available to private home refillers, the principle holds. If you only use OEM Canon Yellow ink then you should not experience the Yellow Gello problem. This means buying new OEM CLI-42 Yellow cartridges over and over again. However, if you use aftermarket refill ink, which, technically, all refill ink is aftermarket for Canon printers, then you will want to either meticulously flush the Yellow cartridge OR obtain a flushed CLI-8 cartridge and then swap the chip.

There is much to learn and we have thrown much at you in a short period of time. Fortunately you have time to learn the main points to avoid a problem if you choose to refill. The nuances will come. My recommendation if you decide to refill is to purchase your refilling needs from Precision Colors. Whether you buy a new OEM CLI-8 Yellow and swap chips or go with mikling's flushed and pre-drilled and plugged cartridges is up to you. I just wouldn't tempt the Fates by flushing your own CLI-42 Yellow cartridge your first time out of the blocks. Others with much experience have failed and suffered the Yellow Gello and had to purchase a new print head.

Potential decision tree:
1) Refill or continue to use OEM Canon ink.
2) If OEM ink then no need to go further except considering using ICC Printer Profiles if using non-Canon papers.
3) If refilling (ie aftermarket inks) then continue to #4.
4) Buy from Precision Colors.
5) Determine if refilling by traditional top-fill method or Durchstich side hole method and then purchase accessories accordingly. Precision Colors offers pre-drilled and plugged sets of cartridges that will facilitate your entry into refilling if you do not want to do this yourself.
6) Buy the chip resetter to maintain the printer's built in ink level monitoring.
7) Consider buying the Squezy Bottle System accessories including the caps, needles (at least 2" or 50 mm for Durchstich method), and needle covers. Squeeze bottles make refilling so much easier and faster (do not have to clean syringes).
8) Print for pennies and have fun.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Hello Liam and welcome.
Just to clarify what has already been discussed on the PRO-100 CLI-42 OEM carts.

You should not even be thinking of using ANY refillables or CISS systems you might be running across on places like EBAY.

Precisioncolors and Octoinkjet are your only real options.
Since you are in NY then it will be PC.

Once you have modified your OEM carts for refilling which basically involves the carful cutting away of a bit of the top label that cvovers the cart and the removal of the factory fill / sealing ball, That will expose a nice hole through which you will add the PC inks with a syringe, followed by plugging up said hole with a plug provided by PC. You would reset the chip before actually refilling the cart.

On all colors except YELLOW, you can basically simply top whatever amount of OEM ink that remains with your matching PC ink color.

You can not do that with the yellow. You need to remove the OEM YELLOW CHIP and attach it to a CLI-8 Flushed / Cleaned cart that you will get with you complete filling kit. You will remove the chip from the CLI-42 Yellow cart and attach it to the replacement CLI-8 cart. You will then fill that one up from fresh with nothing but PC Yellow ink.

IF you add PC Yellow ink to the ORIGINAL OEM Yellow, you will get a gelling reaction and you will clog your yellow print head channel.

I know all of this will sound daunting but I assure you will be doing this almost with your eyes closed when you get the hand of it.

Don't worry yet about ICC profiles. Learn to use your printer first by letting the printer handle all color management and once you have mastered that, you can move on to using ICC profiles.
PC has created MANY free ICC profiles for the PRO-100, I helped them with the printing of the charts for many different papers.

Anyway we are all here to help you out in any way we can.
I have 3 PRO-100s and have been using PC inks.

Joe

shmungerwos

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro100 & Dell Laser 1110
8) Print for pennies and have fun.
A friend of mine posted in a photography group on facebook asking how much to charge a client for a 13x19 print, assuming they'll be printing quite a few.
Another friend commented, "If you are using a Canon printers, cost to print is about $5. Just saying"
Thankfully, he was almost immediately bombarded with info on Precision Colors. Felt awesome to know exactly what they're referring to, without having to look into it.

Btw, guys, I know typing up these detailed comments take a lot of time. I really appreciate it, but if you look at everything I've been saying, I'm thorough. Trust me, I'll be using PC IS Inks. I will most definitely reread all the posts with clear and detailed instructions before I do anything.
For the most part though, any of the beginner information about how to refill, yellow cart, PC, chip resetting, I've already read up on. So, no need to spend too much time. I do really appreciate everyone helping so much!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If I were selling prints I would either use Canon OEM inks or have the prints done professionally in order to maximize longevity of the print and make sure the paper and ICC printer profile matched with the ink set.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
If I were selling prints I would either use Canon OEM inks or have the prints done professionally in order to maximize longevity of the print and make sure the paper and ICC printer profile matched with the ink set.

I'm with Stratman 100% on this point. Unfortunately the significance is often overlooked by amateurs when they sell/market their prints from Dye based inks.

Possibly the Pro-10 with pigment inks may reduce this problem.

I generally give away prints to avoid the liability caused by this very problem, and initially tried to explain why, and the potential problems of longevity using third party inks and papers. Was a total waste of time leading to confusion and misunderstanding as none of the lay endusers had a clue what I was trying to say or why. They just seemed to liek the idea of a "free picha".

Roy Sletcher

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I'm with Stratman 100% on this point. Unfortunately the significance is often overlooked by amateurs when they sell/market their prints from Dye based inks.

Possibly the Pro-10 with pigment inks may reduce this problem.

I generally give away prints to avoid the liability caused by this very problem, and initially tried to explain why, and the potential problems of longevity using third party inks and papers. Was a total waste of time leading to confusion and misunderstanding as none of the lay endusers had a clue what I was trying to say or why. They just seemed to liek the idea of a "free picha".

Roy Sletcher

You are just TOO honest, Provide picture hanging instructions and ANY potential lawsuit is consigned to the TOO HARD-TOO COSTLY - TAKE TOO LONG.

Do you really imagine the tourist prints purchased all over the wold are made using anything other than the cheapest media possible.

I just hope the pictures I have on the wall cant read, all this preoccupation with print life, its almost a sickness.
Folks who experience premature fading screwed up SOMEWHERE full stop.

AND
to add some perspective to my comment, I had day surgery in the City today, been sitting around in one place or another since 4am this morning, it is now 7.10pm, my wife is picking me up, and is delayed 2 hours returning from Sydney to Melbourne and I am BORED..........."Are we there yet"?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am sorry @3dogs but I have to agree with @stratman and @Roy Sletcher because selling prints is such a personal thing and you don’t want to get it wrong.

When using OEM dye inks and paper you are guaranteed some degree of longevity and you should then charge the extra for that added security.

If you’re using pigment inks then you need not worry about longevity because you’ll be long dead before they’d have the slightest chance of fading, but paper can still the elephant in the room.

So it’s a case of sticking with OEM dye ink and paper if you consider your work to be that professional or use the cheaper pigment ink option and hope your paper choice holds out..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I had day surgery in the City today, been sitting around in one place or another since 4am this morning, it is now 7.10pm, my wife is picking me up, and is delayed 2 hours returning from Sydney to Melbourne and I am BORED..........."Are we there yet"?
Being bored is a good sign after surgery, hopefully meaning you are doing alright. Best wishes on your full recovery!